• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mini Lop Rabbit On 31st Day Of Pregnancy - Signs Of Labour

What Day on Average Has Your Rabbit Had Her Babies?

• Earlier Than 20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Later Than 35

• Total voters
One of My Lovely Does, Daisy, has Not Had Her Babies Yet On The Morning Of Day 31. She Has Pulled About a Handfull Of Fur And Has Made Her Nest, Daisy Has also Been Holding Her Back End In The Air and Being Tired A Bit More Than Usual. Are These Signs Of Her Getting Closer To Kindling (Having Babies) ??

Given that she is holding her back end in the air, that suggests labour pain and or restlessness. She may make some vocal noises like a low groaning or pant. I would say birth could be imminent within the next day or so. Don't be tempted to touch the newborn kits or disturb the nest even if there is blood and make sure mum and babies are kept warm. Give her extra bedding and food. She may not eat whilst in labour but after birth, when she is lactating she will be very hungry. Right now anything could stress her into aborting her babies or eating them after birth so make sure all sources of stress are removed from her environment and don't introduce any sudden changes. Keep an eye on her and if she seems to be struggling, I would call your local vet and see if they can help her at all. Babies may be in the wrong position or in distress and struggling to be delivered.

It's Her First Litter and She Is Eating Perfectly Healthy x

Does tend to stop eating or eat very little about 12 hours before kindling. Does carrying a small litter (4 or less) tend to have a longer gestation period. But if no kits have arrived by day 34 then a Vet will probably induce birth otherwise there is a high risk of losing the entire litter.

Did you intend to breed your Doe ? If so, did you not first research how to go about this responsibly with regards to what to expect, what is 'normal' and what may indicate a potential problem ?

She Has Been Holding Her Botttom In The Air Since Yesterday Morning And When I Went out To Her This Morning She did Make a Funny Noise. Do You Think She Is Likely To Give Birth Tonight/Tomorrow Morning?

Hmm I would call the vet then, holding her bottom up since yesterday does not sound good, she might be in difficulty and too much pain. She needs medical help now. To be honest after the birth no matter if it goes well or not, I would neuter your doe to prevent any future issues and the likelihood of uterine cancer occurring.

Yes I Have Done My Research And I Know What I Am Doing, She Was Due Today and Has Still Not Given Birth Which is Why I Came Here For Advice x

How old is Daisy ?

If she is straining and has been doing so since yesterday you need to contact a Vet straight away. If she has a very large kit it may be stuck in the birthing canal in which case she'd need an emergency C section. Otherwise you'll loose both Daisy and her kits.

Hiya, I Have Checked Her Over And There is'nt a Stuck Kit. She Has Stopped Straining But There are No Babies Yet. I Have Given Her Raspberries Last Night Which Act as Pain Relief, She May Have Had The Bunny Braxton Hicks.But The Latest She Can Have Them is Next Tuesday So I Will Let You Know Once They're Born :roll:

I hope Daisy will be OK. If I was in your position, I would take her to be looked at by a vet, just to be absolutely sure that everything is OK.

If she is in pain, then I'm afraid that raspberries aren't going to give her any relief. If you are of the opinion that she is in pain or discomfort, then this is all the more reason to have her looked at professionally.

Sending lots of vibes for Daisy and her little ones. xx

I hope Daisy will be OK. If I was in your position, I would take her to be looked at by a vet, just to be absolutely sure that everything is OK.

If she is in pain, then I'm afraid that raspberries aren't going to give her any relief. If you are of the opinion that she is in pain or discomfort, then this is all the more reason to have her looked at professionally.

Sending lots of vibes for Daisy and her little ones. xx

I agree with this, the fact she has been in pain at all is reason enough to take her to a vet and get her checked.

Hiya, I Have Checked Her Over And There is'nt a Stuck Kit. She Has Stopped Straining But There are No Babies Yet. I Have Given Her Raspberries Last Night Which Act as Pain Relief, She May Have Had The Bunny Braxton Hicks.But The Latest She Can Have Them is Next Tuesday So I Will Let You Know Once They're Born :roll:

So that would be day 39 then :cry:

i agree that she needs to be seen by your exotics vet as soon as possible. it does sound like something is not quite right, and you've picked up on that and her discomfort/pain already so definitely get her checked out.

Personally I would not transport her to a Vet at such a late stage in gestation. You need to request a Home Visit from the Vet. Given that you have registered on here to obtain advice you must want to do all you can for Daisy. Most replies have emphasised the need to obtain Veterinary attention sooner rather than later. It would be a great shame not to act on that advice and consequently have a sad outcome with Daisy's pregnancy.

Back