• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheap / Reasonably priced hutch & Run Combo - Happy Hutch?

I've got a couple of Happy Hutch hutches and I'm happy with them. I consider them basic, decent hutches.

Thinking about it more, the hutch I use I'm very happy with, the hutch and run I sold but not because I didn't like it but because I upgraded to an aviary. However, the design of the hutch lacked for me in that because of the position of the ramp (the hole is in the middle of the 6ft length) it means that the opening to the sheltered compartment is at the front of the hutch rather than the back. I think this is a major bad fault in that it's nowhere near as sheltered as when the opening is at the back of the hutch ... which you can't switch it to given the position of the hole.

That's a good point Bunny Buddy. I wouldn't be happy with the opening being at the front of the hutch. Much better at the back.

Mmmm, suppose it could be something I could ask to change if I was to get one, worth asking!

I've just ordered one, it's arrived and I'll try and get it up this weekend so I can let you know what I think of it. I'm going to have to do something with the opening to the sheltered part of the hutch myself as not sure if my underbed storage box is going to fit in with the divider in place but I'd like it to be in the sheltered bit as that's where they spend all their time, especially if the weather is bad and the're not skipping aorund outside.

I have the happy hutch sykes combo and the extension run, its very well made and still looking as good 4/5 years later, though I do have a cover on the actual hutch part.

Also ref the ramp comment, mine is at the back of the open part of the hutch. May be a daft question but wonder if its possible to fit the floor upside down or the wrong way round.

Actually ignore that I've just re-read it and think I misinterpreted. I don't use the dividers in my hutches.

Last edited:
I've just ordered one, it's arrived and I'll try and get it up this weekend so I can let you know what I think of it. I'm going to have to do something with the opening to the sheltered part of the hutch myself as not sure if my underbed storage box is going to fit in with the divider in place but I'd like it to be in the sheltered bit as that's where they spend all their time, especially if the weather is bad and the're not skipping aorund outside.

Ohhh, great :) Thanks. Planning on ordering one at cousins payday so that would be great if you could let me know.

I have the happy hutch sykes combo and the extension run, its very well made and still looking as good 4/5 years later, though I do have a cover on the actual hutch part.

Also ref the ramp comment, mine is at the back of the open part of the hutch. May be a daft question but wonder if its possible to fit the floor upside down or the wrong way round.

Actually ignore that I've just re-read it and think I misinterpreted. I don't use the dividers in my hutches.

Thanks for that. So did you just take the divider out? Have you got anything in the hutch where the divider should be to allow them to snuggle in?

We just omitted it when we built it as mine never use them except as a toilet and you can never get a decent sized litter tray in them without obstructing the door. I have huge litter trays which I pile high with straw then hay on top. If its raelly cold I add a cardboard box round it and pack the gap between the box and hutch walls with straw, but they never sleep in them, they are in the run in all weathers so sometimes wonder why I bother.

We just omitted it when we built it as mine never use them except as a toilet and you can never get a decent sized litter tray in them without obstructing the door. I have huge litter trays which I pile high with straw then hay on top. If its raelly cold I add a cardboard box round it and pack the gap between the box and hutch walls with straw, but they never sleep in them, they are in the run in all weathers so sometimes wonder why I bother.

Cheers m'dear :) Will probably just do that then.

Bit of a late update as it's taken so long to find time to build it, but the Happy Hutch sykes combo seems OK. It's obviously not as sturdy as a Ryedale but it's strong enough. It came flat packed and would be easy to take apart and transport if you were moving house etc. It's designed well (although I've hinged the lid of the run the other way round so you can access the hutch from inside the run). The divider has it's hole towards the back of the hutch. I'm going to make my hole bigger so I can fit the litter tray in the sleeping compartment. The hole for the ramp down to the run is on the back left as you look at it which is good - a way away from the sleeping bit. I attached lino to the floor before attaching the floor to the hutch. I can't say how it lasts or stands the weather yet. There was a problem with the delivery as the wrong sized run was sent out with the hutch (it was 6.5ft not 6ft and the hutch wouldn't fit on) but Happy Hutch demonstrated great customer service and they sent the right sized run out straight away and I got to keep the other run too! On another note I just ordered a P@H hutch for my guinea pigs which will stay indoors and the quality of this was way below the Happy Hutch hutch, there's no way an animal of mine would live in the P@H hutch outside, it wouldn't last 5 mins.

Back