• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun won't use the lower floor of new hutch

beki

Mama Doe
Ruby has been in her new hutch a couple of days now. I haven't seen her downstairs at all and I don't think she wants to use the ramp. Her previous hutch was 2 storey and the ramp on that hutch was a much steeper one than on the new hutch. I haven't tried putting her on the ramp or anything as I didn't want to scare her and wanted to make sure she is getting used to her new surroundings without frightening her. Is there anything I can do to encourage her or am I best just putting her in the bottom bit and hope she maker her way back up and realises it isnt scary at all!

next time you handle your rabbit put him back at the bottom and put all his food (pellets,hay,veggies) in the downstairs so she associates downstairs with good things

I'd give her a bit longer and if still no joy then putting her in the bottom might help as going up is a bit easier than going down :)

next time you handle your rabbit put him back at the bottom and put all his food (pellets,hay,veggies) in the downstairs so she associates downstairs with good things. move bowl and hay rack every couple of days from upstairs to downstairs so your rabbit keeps using both levels

My husband went and put her at the bottom without asking me first about half an hour ago with some food. Will check when my son has gone to bed whether she has made her way up.

She was still at the bottom! We put her back up at the top as the enclosed bed area is up there. He put her on the ramp to see if she would use it but she seems scared to. What do I do now! She is usually quite a confident bunny, no fear when jumping on and off things. This ladder is longer than her own and due to the lay out of the new hutch is about 2 inches from the wall on one side and open on the other. Her old ramp was flush to the wall on one side. This one also goes into a dark corner as the old hutch had 2 mesh doors on the bottom where as this one has 2 mesh doors and one solid door. The ramp goes down to the solid door side.

I wonder whether it will help if I put a rail on the side of the ramp or try and nail some wood on it so its wider and to the wall, with my diy skills though, this might not work.

Although I had planned to block off the bottom level and put new bunny in it when he arrives, until both are bonded, so maybe it's best at the moment to try not to encourage her down there if she can't use it for a couple of weeks soon.

Back