• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letterbox Cage - ? Hay rack

I've never used one, I thought about it, but then I found an under shelf basket for £1 in Asda instead :thumb: doesn't look like they have them now but they are similar to this http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/set-of-2-under-shelf-storage-baskets-211779 you need to check bar strength/spacing though, mine are mesh all over and I made a lid so they can't jump into it and get stuck. Having said that I've found they eat more hay just piling it up in the litter tray :thumb:

I've currently got their hay in an Ikea bag rack but there's not really room for 4 round it. They also have an adapted roll top bread bin which worked really well but the lid has now been chewed so much that they can get in it and then they pee all over the hay!

Thought it might be worth trying a big letter rack and just cover the lid.

Yes, I think it might be worth a try :thumb: when I had the quad I had 2 of those undershelf baskets next to each other above an underbed storage litter tray :thumb:

I think I'll give your suggestion a go first - it's a lot cheaper - and I can fit both baskets over the side panel. I've got a Dunelm Mill quite close too and if the rabbits don't like them I can use them in my kitchen :thumb:

If I grovel, I can probably get hubbie to sort me out a lid for them too. That's this weekend sorted them :lol:

Thank you

Fingers crossed the bar spacing and strength is ok, they look more open than mine,but that will mean they can get the hay out easier anyway :thumb: so long as they can't get stuck that's always my worry with racks. hubbies are very handy aren't they, I've got quite good at bribery and grovelling :lol:

Sounds like your cheap alternative is sorted!

I like the idea of the letterbox cage as a hayrack. I keep intending to make one out of all the stripped willow sticks they made but not sure how to fix it together.

Eta that it takes the belgian hares, Autumn and Sunshine about 10 minutes to strip a large willow stick!

Back