• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run floor ideas?

Jayniekinns

Young Bun
Hello,

I want to sort out so i can make more space for my rabbit to run around in. At the moment she has a 2 tier hutch, but before winter, and when it rained more, she used to have a run attached to the front of her hutch.
I do have some ideas on what I want to do for her, as I have a spare rabbit hutch with large run panels I can use and also I now have a spare hutch, one with an upstairs and the downstairs is just a run, as unfortunately I lost one of my buns, but the issue I have is that she has to be on the concrete and when it does rain, the run obviously gets wet.
My neighbour does have some corrugated plastic that was I was going to use to cover the top of the run to let the water run off, but it runs under the hutch. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do, such as put a floor in the run or something, I am on a bit of a budget but any ideas would help.

Thanks
Jaynie

Mine are on patio with corrugated roofing. I agree the floor does get a little wet but as long as it's a flat surface and doesn't pool in puddles it does absorb into the ground so at worst the bunnies get damp feet. It doesn't bother them at all. My hutch is raised so they can snuggle there in the dry if they choose but I don't think I've ever seen them in it. :roll:

In the summer marble tiles make a great flooring as they keep your bunny nice and cool however an all year round option is plastic slats which can be purchased in garden centres.

Do you think slabs would be a good idea? I mean she is on the patio but it's un even (rented house so I can't really do anything about it), just thinking if I lay them down but not 'fix' them down, and put the run on top, at least then the water should run under/between each slab. Problem is that she does get pools of water, and when she kicks all her straw out the hutch, it's a mushy mess. But do you think she will be alright on the slabs not fixed in place? I will check regularly to make sure they haven't moved, which I shouldn't think they would have.

Hi :wave:
One of my buns runs is on concrete and have a similar issue with water running underneath the run even though the run is fully covered..

Am still in the process of refurbishing the old run.. ( come spring.. run to be rewired ) but, for flooring I am using a variety of items.. the buns love them and it keeps there feetsies warm and dry ..

( and do excuse the messy yard, they don't live out there, my Forest Bun was just determined to come and help me :)

Last edited:
I like the idea with the patch of grass in a tray, I may have to try that one. I used to have a pallet I had the run on, but when I moved the run onto grass in the summer, like a genius I got rid of it, but now I can make one with lots of panels, a pallet would be too small anyway but the wicker idea I think I might use for now :)

I like the idea with the patch of grass in a tray, I may have to try that one. I used to have a pallet I had the run on, but when I moved the run onto grass in the summer, like a genius I got rid of it, but now I can make one with lots of panels, a pallet would be too small anyway but the wicker idea I think I might use for now :)

Tis tricky isn't it..mine used to be on grass, and we only moved them 2 months ago cos of the weather ( we are planning on extending to include the grass run in spring ) and like you.. I had to improvise with concrete flooring. The willow fencing works a treat, particularly at this time of year, gives us a bit of breathing space to think on :)

Is the water run off from the roofing? If so, try mini guttering under that edge and then direct the water into a bucket you can empty elsewhere :)

It's more because the floor is uneven the water runs underneath the run however I think I will use the guttering idea :)

I'm struggling to picture your setup... could you get a pic and I'm sure we'd all have lots of ideas!

I personally really like stable matting for flooring but it depends on the setup.

I would advise against decking as several members on here have had their bunnies break toes by getting them caught in between the slats.

Hi there, I have the aviary on concrete with guttering but because it's built into these deep raised borders, when it rains some water is soaking through onto the floor of the run anyway (grrrrrr :( - although I will be extending their set-up in spring so can hopefully reduce this right down)
I have got a few different things in for flooring, some non slip rubber tiles from diy shops, a large dog kennel mat, some paving slabs, some trays with turf which have now turned into digging areas :) and a hidey house.
I used to worry that their feet were getting wet but with all the different areas it's a lot less and the wet drains between all the raised bits. I'll probably raise the thing onto slabs later on too so the wood goes as long as it can.

Back