• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any Idea on Gender?

Lemon

New Kit
New to the forums and bunny owning, though I do own three gerbils, two guineas and a cat. Hope this is an okay place to put this post. Saw some bunnies and fell in love, they were being sold at 6 weeks so thought I'd better get them. Previous owners have no idea on the genders, I was wondering if it's possible to tell from these pictures and if so , if anyone has any ideas what these two are?

P.S Sorry about the bunny genitals; also sorry if you're eating.

4gaQJ7u.jpg
[/IMG]

nwoTCGr.jpg
[/IMG]

The first one looks to be female, the second one male. But to be certain I'd get a Vet to check for you as you need to put a bit more pressure on their 'bits' to get a better view

Why were the Kits taken from their Mum and rehomed at just 6 weeks of age :cry:

Were you given advice on what to feed them ? It is essential that they have a mostly hay and water diet and no new food types that they have not been used to. So no change of hard feed/no veg/fruit if they have not been having it whilst still with their Mum. The gastrointestinal flora of a Kit is at a critical state of change at 6-8 weeks of age and any dietary changes/stress can lead to enteritis. So if you need any advice about exactly what to feed them or any other advice just ask and we'll help if we can.

Good luck at the Vets. Whilst there you could discuss having the kits vaccinated. This can be done from 5 weeks of age, but personally I would rather wait until they are a bit older, about 10 weeks.

There are some picture here that might help with sexing: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?46514-Sexing-Buns!&p=1282895&viewfull=1#post1282895

As Jane says, it will be really important to keep their diet consistent with what they've had with mum, even if it wasn't great, as they'll be much more susceptible to gut issues being separated so early. They'll be okay together until 10 weeks, then they'll need splitting if they are opposite sex.

Do we get a picture of the cuter end too? ;)

Agree, first is definitely female, as for the second I'd say male but not 100% sure. In addition to the other good advice on vet check and diet I would also recommend a probiotic to put into their water but not without them having a vet check first, so ask your vet about this when you go.

Back