• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you make the final decision?

Fatfish

Young Bun
Hi,

My rabbit Nancy was diagnosed about two months ago with an adrenal tumour and has subsequently lost most of her fur. Her skin has also become a little fragile and scaley in places. Despite this she has been doing well, she moved with her hutch mate into the house and seemed to be very happy. About a week ago I noticed she was limping so we went to the vets. It turns out she has necrosing pressure sores on all of her feet as a result of her fur loss. The vet felt the prognosis was poor, especially given her under lying condition but I wanted to try and manage the pain while she still seemed to be enjoying life (eating, playing with toys, snuggling with her hutch mate etc). Over the course of the week she has become less mobile, her feet are clearly bothering her, while still eating she's not scoffing her treats anymore (she's been having too many treats, given he situation I wanted her to have lots of nice things) and she doesn't move around very much.

I think I need to start thinking about what is fair to her as we can not expect this condition to heal. How do you know when its the right time to let them go?

Oh it's so difficult. :( I think it's extra hard when you see a gradual deterioration, as you get used to the way the animal is, as well as them having the chance to gradually get used to their symptoms too.

I'm absolutely terrible at making the decision, and frequently change my mind, but a rough rule of thumb I use is the percentage of the day they appear happy. If it is a low percentage, the time has come.

Thinking of you x

I am so sorry, i have only had to make that decision once but it was the hardest most painful decision ever,

You know yourself when your wee friend has had. Enough as they often let you know..

I am so sorry for you having to think about it
Fee x

I am very sorry to hear of Nancy's health problems :cry: It is always extremely difficult to make that final decision. I do agree with Sarah in that if a Rabbit has more bad times during the day than good times then giving them a dignified passing is probably the 'right' thing to do. Really only those who know the Rabbit can judge as what one Rabbit can cope with another cant. Having a Vet we trust is also so helpful. I know for a fact that when the time comes for a Rabbit in my care my Vet will ALWAYS tell me if I am unable to make that judgement myself. One thing I do always try to bare in mind is that it is 'better' to have a Bun PTS one day too soon than one day too late.

I hope that Nancy can remain as comfortable as possible.

It's so hard to make that decision and certainly not one to be taken lightly. I'm so sorry that you're having to think of this :cry: I think you need to be guided by your bunny, your vet and what you feel to be right. Questions I'd be asking myself in your situation would be:
1) Can she recover?
2) How is her quality of life?
3) Is she the kind of rabbit that can tolerate vet visits and medicines or is it too stressful?
4) If she recovers, is it likely she will deteriorate again as a result of this illness?

Three years ago I had to face this when my paralysed bunny took a sudden turn for the worse and I chose to have him pts. I bitterly regretted the decision afterwards, thinking I gave up on him and he could have gotten better, however now I've finally come to terms with it, I know now that I did the right thing that day as even if he survived that day and recovered, he had a terminal illness that he was never going to recover completely from and we would have faced this deterioration every three months. It's the hardest thing we ever have to do as pet owners, but the kindest thing we can do as well.

Thank you for all your kind replies. Nancy seems to have picked up a little bit this afternoon. I have made her up a separate cage so she can have a little break from Olive. Olive is brim full of health and energy and doesn't understand Nancy can't play like before. Nancy seems much, much more relaxed in her little cage next door to Olive. I think maybe Olive's playfulness was stressing her out. Nancy has been chewing on a nut stick and her regular food and looks very relaxed and comfortable in her very, very thick deep bedding. This has the added benefit of being able to treat Nancy to lots of naughty foods without Olive getting them too. Olive is getting a little bit fat! I think I might keep them separate but within sight of each other for now.

I have made an appointment for Saturday morning to see the vet. I don't think they give me stronger pain killers than I already have but I would like to know if there is any further advice. This morning I half thought it might be THAT visit, this afternoon I'm not so sure.

It so incredibly hard, she will never recover, there is very little chance of her sores healing but she's only 5 years old. I know we haven't got much longer left together. But I'm still not quite ready to say goodbye.

Thank you for all your kind replies. Nancy seems to have picked up a little bit this afternoon. I have made her up a separate cage so she can have a little break from Olive. Olive is brim full of health and energy and doesn't understand Nancy can't play like before. Nancy seems much, much more relaxed in her little cage next door to Olive. I think maybe Olive's playfulness was stressing her out. Nancy has been chewing on a nut stick and her regular food and looks very relaxed and comfortable in her very, very thick deep bedding. This has the added benefit of being able to treat Nancy to lots of naughty foods without Olive getting them too. Olive is getting a little bit fat! I think I might keep them separate but within sight of each other for now.

I have made an appointment for Saturday morning to see the vet. I don't think they give me stronger pain killers than I already have but I would like to know if there is any further advice. This morning I half thought it might be THAT visit, this afternoon I'm not so sure.

It so incredibly hard, she will never recover, there is very little chance of her sores healing but she's only 5 years old. I know we haven't got much longer left together. But I'm still not quite ready to say goodbye.

It's very difficult to know when is the right time, and to be honest, there probably isn't a perfect moment.

If she is in pain, and not eating, then these are important factors for your decision. You also need to time to adjust to the fact that she won't be with you too much longer, and this doesn't come easily.

Vets have a very important place at the end of an animal's life, but remember that they only see your rabbit for a short time. You can see the overall picture, and you can have a great input as to when you feel may be right for her to leave. Take your time and don't be pushed into hurried decisions. You are wise to be thinking and deciding about this now.

When the time comes, can anyone tell me what to expect? Can I hold her while she goes? She trusts me, I think she'd feel safer she was in my arms.

When the time comes, can anyone tell me what to expect? Can I hold her while she goes? She trusts me, I think she'd feel safer she was in my arms.

I always have my rabbit in my arms if the vet helps them on their way. Discuss this with your vet prior to the event, so you are not taken by surprise if they do it differently x

I have always held or stroked my buns when having them pts. It is very quick for them and the vet will explain what will happen, they do simply go to sleep.

The only thing I wish I had been warned of in advance is that as they relax it is very common for them to soil themselves so if you want her in your arms make sure you have a towell under her.

Massive massive hugs. It is such a hard descision to make but is also the last act of love you can give you bun xxx

My Vet first gives the Rabbit an injection of anaesthetic and I hold him/her as this is done and then I sit holding him/her until he/she is fully anaesthetised. My Vet then gives the 'PTS drug' intravenously into a vein in the ear. The Rabbit's passing is then usually a few seconds later, there are no external signs of this happening as such, although the Rabbit's eyes do start to protrude more than normal. My Vet will then check that the Rabbit's heart has stopped beating and then I am left to sit holding the Rabbit for as long as I need to.

Your Vet may use a slightly different method so I would try to talk with him/her about what will happen before the time comes. If there is anything you do not feel to be appropriate or that you do not understand dont be afraid to ask him/her. It is important for you to feel fully involved in what happens.

When 'the time' comes PTS is the final thing we can do as part of loving and caring for a Rabbit. It is also the hardest thing.

I have always held or stroked my buns when having them pts. It is very quick for them and the vet will explain what will happen, they do simply go to sleep.

The only thing I wish I had been warned of in advance is that as they relax it is very common for them to soil themselves so if you want her in your arms make sure you have a towell under her.

Massive massive hugs. It is such a hard descision to make but is also the last act of love you can give you bun xxx

Yes indeed a rabbit will often wee all over you as his bladder relaxes.

Your vet can explain everything to you before the event, and it's important you find out what your particular vet's procedure is for letting them go.

It's very hard to even think about it, but as Hele says, it's the final act of love you can give xx

So sorry that you are faced with this, it is without doubt the hardest decision to make and one only you can make, which almost makes it harder.

I really hope Nancy continues to rally round and has many happy days ahead.

Take care.
Xxxx

It's so hard to make that decision and certainly not one to be taken lightly. I'm so sorry that you're having to think of this :cry: I think you need to be guided by your bunny, your vet and what you feel to be right. Questions I'd be asking myself in your situation would be:
1) Can she recover?
2) How is her quality of life?
3) Is she the kind of rabbit that can tolerate vet visits and medicines or is it too stressful?
4) If she recovers, is it likely she will deteriorate again as a result of this illness?

Three years ago I had to face this when my paralysed bunny took a sudden turn for the worse and I chose to have him pts. I bitterly regretted the decision afterwards, thinking I gave up on him and he could have gotten better, however now I've finally come to terms with it, I know now that I did the right thing that day as even if he survived that day and recovered, he had a terminal illness that he was never going to recover completely from and we would have faced this deterioration every three months. It's the hardest thing we ever have to do as pet owners, but the kindest thing we can do as well.

So glad you feel that Sarah. I know how hard it has been for you.

Fatfish, I hope that Nancy can remain comfortable for her remaining time with you.

You've all been so kind. I'm devastated to be in this position and very stressed about making the decision. Right now Nancy's looking quite comfortable. Her pain killers seem to have kicked in and I've just changed her bedding to its really thick and fluffy. She looks quite bright and has enjoyed some breakfast. She's really taken to her pain killer, she laps it up from the syringe like its a treat! At least medication time is not stressful for her.

Olive is not happy at the separation. She's become very clingy to me and got in to a jealous rage when I was fussing Nancy last night. We're going to the RSPCA today to introduce her to a potential new friend. I don't see any chance of Nancy wanting to co-habit again.

Back