• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Overwintering indoors

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Since Lopsy's recent temperature troubles, he's had to be indoors. He's now lost his snuggly winter coat (mostly over me...) so he'll have to be in all Winter and the only space we have is in the attic (our third bedroom). We can't physically get his hutch up the stairs (we have a bit of as strange layout) but we've put his run up and it looks like this:

10891979_10101402423680498_5120548895523410404_n.jpg

We're going to try and extend it after New Year with another puppy pen or something, whatever it is it'll need a lid or to be 3' high as he almost binkied out of the run when I last had the hatch open outside!

He's flopping lots but as he's only got 5'x4' of space, with his hidey hole (carry case), two litter trays and toys (he now has a Hare doorstop 'friend' too) it might be a bit tight for binkies!

As I never intended to have him indoors for any longer than it was necessary for him to recover from his neuter, does he need a set 'base' or is it alright just to have his litter tray and stuff in the run as-is? With everything spread about?

I think it will be fine once it's extended with a puppy pen, he's got a hidey place to go to in his carrier, and everything else he needs :thumb: short term you could use a big sheet pegged over the puppy pen to stop him jumping out, so long as you haven't got a dog/cat you don't have to worry about predators

we're in the same position, might be worth constructing a shelf for him to jump onto
Yes, I'd like to do that! He'll have different levels outside when he gets back there, and he likes to sit on things, so I think that's a good idea. I might put a little table in or something once we've got Part Two sorted.

I've started removing the puppy pads, as he's a good boy and has continued to use his old litter tray for wees (I think he poos in both). Although he likes digging and tearing the pads up, so I might put one or two back in at a time XD And be prepared for tissue everywhere!

Back