• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Choosing a Hutch+Run?

MB1201

Young Bun
Hey all:wave:

This is my first post, so hi! Next year I will hopefully acquire a pair of rabbits, I can't decide on a living space. Parents have said no to a shed so my only option is a Hutch+Run, family have agreed for £200 to spend on accommodation. What websites would you recommend at our budget?

I have emailed a few bespoke people but unfortunately the postage was over £40 for delivery to me making it all more expensive. What hutch and run would you recommend? I am currently looking At the Happy Hutch 6ft with 4ft run in front, this is £205 and the home and roost sets, but I know that Ramps aren't the safest so would get pet steps..:lol:

Any help appreciated,:)

Welcome!

£200 is tight for a hutch and decent sized run unfortunately - you could probably do a shed/playhouse and run with a bit of DIY for cheaper ;)

A 6x4 run isn't really big enough for bunnies to exercise properly, most rescues recognise this and prefer something along the lines of 6x8 runs now. Yep that means more cash!

For a decent hutch set up that lasts for years you may need to spend a few more pennies. You need to look at wood quality - Happy Hutch isn't the best quality and anything with plywood anywhere will eventually rot, a lot quicker than a solid wood set up.

Welfare Hutch Co are pretty good, but their 6x2 hutch with a 6x8 run is £279.
http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/product/6ft rabbit hutch with 4ft under run

And Boyles Pet Housing have a hutch with run under but that's over £300, closer to £400, but no ply in sight there.
http://www.boylespethousing.co.uk/r.../single-rabbit-hutch-with-run-underneath.html

Could you parents be talked round to a playhouse with a run/aviary instead?

Thanks for the kind R eply! Honestly, I'm giving all sorts of ideas to them but they don't want another shed and unfortunately our current one is unsuitable to convert. Their main concern is another shed/playhouse blocking light to the kitchen and conservatory windows as that's the only place for something like that to go. If they don't settle for a shed would a 6 foot hutch attached to the 8x6 run be alright? Bunnies will get free range daily. Haha sorry for sounding so Novicey this will be first rabbits:lol:

No worries! It's great you're researching first and not wasting money on something inadequate!

A 6ft hutch with an 8x6 run would be fine, although do note that 2ft high runs can be limiting - on you mainly and will require you crawling about, a lot! A 3ft high run would be best.

This is a bit beat up and needs some TLC but is one of Rabbit Residence's set ups for permanent residents at Caroline (rescue head)'s house. It's a 6ft long x 4ft deep x 3ft high hutch with a 6ft x 6ft x 3ft high run on the front of it. (hope the piccy works!)
10413318_10152513514322686_7632409609701140762_n.jpg

Another idea is to have the hutch above the run but put it on backwards so you can access the hutch easily without bending over the run. Rabbits are fine with ramps as long as they are not to steep. This might save you some space as well. Also another idea is to have the hutch and attach the run to it via a runaround pipe so you can still access the hutch without the run being in front of it. There are loads of different ways but I would consider being able to access it easily without lots of bending so it's easy to clean. Good quality wood is a must or if you are handy with tools replacing any thin plywood with thicker wood. A hutch cover is always useful for prolonging the life of the hutch and keeping the bunnies dry and warm....or taurpaulin.

Also have a look on ebay, preloved etc as you might be able to bag a bargain even if it needs a bit of TLC. Another alternative is to but a decent hutch and make a run.

Hi there, when we got our first rabbits we bought a chicken coop from eBay and the rabbits loved it. As it was winter we managed to pick up a fairly large one for about £70 including delivery on bids. We then purchased a 30m roll of welded mesh for about £35 and some wood from the timber merchants. Screws and hinges etc all came from toolstation.co.uk. I had never built anything in my life before but with help I was able to build A very simple frame for a large run. I used a heavy duty staple gun with large u shaped staples to attach the mesh to the wood frame. That was nearly 4 years ago and when we moved onto the bunny shed our friend took it for her rabbits. She paints it every year and it is still going strong. We spent just under £150 in total and looking on eBay the prices are not much more for the materials. If someone is willing to help you it can be a very rewarding experience and you may be able to give maximum space for your budget.

That's a very good point. Building a run isn't too complicated for a DIY project and it can be a cheaper way to get exactly what you want.

Back