• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing.....!!

vicky_26

Warren Scout
So Hugo is a big time chewer. I've now removed my coffee table out of my living room as he was chewing that....so he's moved on to the door frames.....ggggrrrrrr!

I have brought them so many wooden/cheweable things which they do chew but clearly still like the door frames.....so frustrating!

Any ideas on how I can stop him.....or is it mission impossible!?!

Oh dear poor coffee table :(

I'm pretty sure once they start its a losing battle :( but I might be wrong someone must have a solution ;)

I have been very lucky I have only had one bun living in the house and must say she is very good but there isn't really anything she can get at ;) and hasn't been interested in the door frame yet and she lets herself out if the pen daily to explore the whole house by herself while we are out :roll:

She does have moments where she will try eating the ceiling under the stairs as that is where she lives :lol:

My OH got to the end of his tether with our two buns chewing on the skirting boards and snipping wires so now we have stainless steel skirting boards that click on and off so you can run wires behind them.

Hi, my house bunnies also like our coffee table, but I just tend to say 'no' and give them a nudge?!

It's slow progress but seems to be working for us! X

Hello, I think it's difficult as chewing is a natural instinct for bunnies. We've always said a firm 'no,' moved them and gave them plenty of chew toys :)

Yes I am trying that approach and when I see him doing it nudge him and say no..... He looks at me briefly and then with almost a cheeky look on his face start chewing again! The little rascal.....Obviously hard to catch them doing it in their area where they are when I am out but gotta accept that one day if I ever look to move I'll have to replace a door frame!!! I have brought loads of chewing toys! Haha

Hi, my house bunnies also like our coffee table, but I just tend to say 'no' and give them a nudge?!

It's slow progress but seems to be working for us! X

That'll work as long as you don't have a rabbit like my Lady Katherine! She loves being told off and doing naughty things so that'd just encourage her :roll::lol::love:

So Hugo is a big time chewer. I've now removed my coffee table out of my living room as he was chewing that....so he's moved on to the door frames.....ggggrrrrrr!

I have brought them so many wooden/cheweable things which they do chew but clearly still like the door frames.....so frustrating!

Any ideas on how I can stop him.....or is it mission impossible!?!

Hi

I have had lots of experience with this and we have tried many ingenious things. Rabbits get "projects" and become very focussed with one thing, which is often naughty. Try loo roll or kitchen roll cardboard tubes around chair legs and tables, put some vinegar on them as they don't really like the smell of that.

As far as the door frame is concerned, there is a spray called Grannicks Bitter apple spray that you can put anywhere, it is supposed to be very effective. I am a dog trainer and I often recommend it for naughty doggies too! You can buy it on Amazon etc..

Another thing you can try is put his favourite toys right by the door frame, or put something of great interest by the door frame (say a box with little holes cut out for him to run in and out of, with some cardboard tubes inside stuffed with hay) - that should keep busy!

I use a sound that means "No that's naughty" and they respond to it pretty well, rabbits know when they are being naughty! The sound should be quite high pitched and shrill.

That'll work as long as you don't have a rabbit like my Lady Katherine! She loves being told off and doing naughty things so that'd just encourage her :roll::lol::love:

aww bless her... :love: but being honest, I am starting to struggle saying 'no' to my little honey as she has such a cheeky little face, and swear she does it on purpose;

to be fair, my two haven't started chewing much else, but our lounge is currently an obstacle course with cardboard boxes and bridges, willow balls and cardboard tubes! and they love their cardboard castle, best thing I have brought! :)

aww bless her... :love: but being honest, I am starting to struggle saying 'no' to my little honey as she has such a cheeky little face, and swear she does it on purpose;

to be fair, my two haven't started chewing much else, but our lounge is currently an obstacle course with cardboard boxes and bridges, willow balls and cardboard tubes! and they love their cardboard castle, best thing I have brought! :)

No way in the world could anyone say 'no' to that sweetie xxx

It usually most effective to approach from a couple of angles - protecting the area and providing alternative chewing options and entertainment. Branches from apple/willow etc. tend to be tastier than wood from shops. You can pop it different places or hang it from the door handle, perspex or metal plates over the area protect it, and things like a treat ball, digging boxes, cardboard hides etc. can divert their attention :)

Oh my gosh look at that cute little face! Nope you definitely can't say no to that! You are now a good bunny slave and what she says goes :lol:

Back