• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor hutch for a bonded pair

RT

Young Bun
We are thinking of adopting a bonded pair of bunnies after we had to have Gerrard PTS back in September.

We have only had Gerrard and Flopsy before him (both were house bunnies) and we haven't had a pair before.

We are starting from scratch house wise as Gerrard inherited his house from Flopsy and it was old and tired.

So we are after a large indoor hutch which is suitable for 2 rabbits. The room they will predominately be in is carpeted so I don't want them living on that as I will worry that they will chew the carpet and make themselves ill.

They will have to be in the hutch overnight so I want them to have as large as space as possible to live in.

Can anyone recommend a decent hutch for a pair of bunnies please? Some of them look too small to me for a pair so I don't know where to start looking really. Gerrard loved his house and would frequently go and sit in it after a few hours of freedom so I want the new pair to be as equally happy in their new home.

Many thanks

I think most hutches will be too small on their own. I've got an indoor enclosure from here http://www.boylespethousing.co.uk/rabbit-housing/2x1x1m-rabbit-pen-4sides.html and it's brilliant. I've got two medium sized bunnies and they have plenty of room to jump around in their enclosure, they're allowed out when I'm home to free range round the house but they do eat the carpet if left unsupervised unfortunately so the pen has lino on the bottom which they don't chew so they're safe in it when I'm not around.

Thanks for the information. The indoor enclosure does look fabulous but cost wise is a bit more than we would like to spend and ideally, the house would be transportable too. We have been looking into making our own houses / enclosures. What do people think of the adaptation of the IKEA Besta cupboards? Can this be suitable for bunnies? Would a lino floor inside be OK? Would they want to chew the house? Gerrard, and Flopsy before him, never bit the plastic bit of their hutch but they did occasionally chew the metal bars and take the paint off them so I wouldn't want any problems arising from the material of the house. Here is a link to the sort of thing I have found on the internet and any thoughts would be much appreciated, many thanks: http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/cupboard-hutch.asp

Hi, I do have 2 mini lops and mine live in a rabbit cage 120! Which you can pick up from most large pet shops! :)

this cage unfortunately falls well below the minimum requirements for rabbits and would only be suitable as a base that is open to a larger enclosure at all times :wave:

this cage unfortunately falls well below the minimum requirements for rabbits and would only be suitable as a base that is open to a larger enclosure at all times :wave:

Oh okay.. Thank you! Well mine are only 11 weeks old, and regularly have access to running round our lounge like loonies! :) I'm hoping to put them in their huge outdoor hutch once they have been done and the weather warms up! x

Before my two had their Boyles indoor enclosure they had a large indoor cage as a base when free ranging and when I went out I built up a puppy pen thing onto the front of it in the kitchen (because it had a lino floor) and they had that to run around in. It wasn't ideal because it was a pain having to put it up and down but it gave them the most space I could at the time. I can't imagine shutting them in one of even the largest indoor cages you can get because there isn't enough room to hop about.

I picked up a 2m x 1m lino offcut for £10 from a carpet shop for their enclosure now so you could perhaps get something like that to go underneath a puppy pen if you are worried about carpet and have a cage/hutch for a base (for food, water, toilet and somewhere to hide).

ETA. Depending on how much room you have and the layout of the room you could pen off part of the room / a corner of the room, I've seen some creative pens on Pininterest that are more attractive than a puppy pen if your a bit handy at DIY :lol:

Last edited:
Back