• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need urgent advice please! U/d She's gone

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
Priscilla won't eat her pellets or her treats :( She has had a bit of apple this morning but keeps dropping her food out of her mouth, and she is tilting her head to one side when chewing. She is passing poos but they are squishy and sticking to her bum, and she has wet herself where she was sat and there is urine all down her bum legs and feet :( She is very quiet and subdued, more so than usual.

I have no idea what's wrong with her, there is one emergency vets open that's an hour away and they have told me to monitor her for now and bring her in if she deteriorates. Does this mean they aren't rabbit-savvy and won't know how to treat her, as I think she needs to be seen straight away. What do I do??

Last edited:
Oh no how scary.

I really do think she needs to be seen today. Hope she gets better very soon, let us know how you get on xxx

Priscilla won't eat her pellets or her treats :( She has had a bit of apple this morning but keeps dropping her food out of her mouth, and she is tilting her head to one side when chewing. She is passing poos but they are squishy and sticking to her bum, and she has wet herself where she was sat and there is urine all down her bum legs and feet :( She is very quiet and subdued, more so than usual.

I have no idea what's wrong with her, there is one emergency vets open that's an hour away and they have told me to monitor her for now and bring her in if she deteriorates. Does this mean they aren't rabbit-savvy and won't know how to treat her, as I think she needs to be seen straight away. What do I do??

You need to take her to the Vet. It sounds as though Priscilla may have either dental pain or ear pain. If the head tilt is not pain related then it could be neurological- ie due to EC.

Treatment would depend on the findings after a full examination- ie teeth, ears, neurological work up, full abdominal examination, heart + lungs, temperature, hydration status

Good luck xx

I would ring back and say you'd prefer to be seen today as a rabbit not eating is an emergency. If they are the only practise open you don't have much choice where to go but take as much info as you can with you and hopefully they'll be open to guidance. They should at least be able to examine her and give you critical care/recovery so you can syringe feed her.

At the vets now.

I'm so worried, she's not reacting at all to me or to being touched/stroked, it's like she's checked out mentally :( I can't believe this has happened on Christmas Day :cry: I should have taken her first thing this morning, if anything happens to her I'll never forgive myself :cry:

I'm so sorry. I hope the vet can do a thorough exam. Jane's advice, as ever, is good :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sending your little one healing vibes and hoping she is soon on the mend. So sorry you have had such a stressful Christmas day. Xxx

Thank you :)

The vet says it was dental - apparently one of her spurs has gotten worse and is growing sideways into her gum. He said 'poor little soul, she must be in a lot of pain' :cry: He has given her the maximum dose of metacam and another painkiller and I will keep her on these until I can get her to my regular vets for a proper dental to remove the spur.

She is very drowsy and is still asleep in her carrier bless her :(

Thank you :)

The vet says it was dental - apparently one of her spurs has gotten worse and is growing sideways into her gum. He said 'poor little soul, she must be in a lot of pain' :cry: He has given her the maximum dose of metacam and another painkiller and I will keep her on these until I can get her to my regular vets for a proper dental to remove the spur.

She is very drowsy and is still asleep in her carrier bless her :(

Poor girl :cry: If she is not eating you will need to syringe feed her until she has a Dental. I assume the Emergency Vet was unable to admit her for the Dental ?

poor girl, hope you can manage the pain and syringe feeding her, until she can have dental, awful time for things to go wrong

Poor girl :cry: If she is not eating you will need to syringe feed her until she has a Dental. I assume the Emergency Vet was unable to admit her for the Dental ?

I'm syringe feeding her recovery food and some mashed up pellets/Fibrefirst, and she is taking bits of it so far :thumb:

There was only one vet and one nurse on at the emergency vet over Christmas, so they wouldn't operate on her. My regular vet is open again on Monday so will try and get her in first thing.

Oh god I'm getting so worried now, she's still so drowsy and barely moving, and she's breathing really heavily. I'm waiting for the emergency vet to ring me back now. Her bum is covered in poo and I've just cleaned it off, she stinks and it looks like her anal glands are blocked?? (There's a slit on either side of her genitals and there's reddish-brown gunk around and in each one. I don't know what to do for her.

Oh god I'm getting so worried now, she's still so drowsy and barely moving, and she's breathing really heavily. I'm waiting for the emergency vet to ring me back now. Her bum is covered in poo and I've just cleaned it off, she stinks and it looks like her anal glands are blocked?? (There's a slit on either side of her genitals and there's reddish-brown gunk around and in each one. I don't know what to do for her.

She is probably heavily sedated as I suspect one of the pain killers the Vet gave was an opiate.If this is the case she may seem very unresponsive and unlikely to clean herself. I really would see if the Vet can admit her as even without this latest complication she still really cant wait til Monday if she has a molar spur digging into her tongue

Back