• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxomatosis vaccination

My Bun got the myxomatosis vaccination a week ago and today a lump has appeared on her nose?! Could this be some form of reaction to the vaccination? If so does anyone know if it will just go down on its own? I'll upload a pic shortly.

It is possible, but very rare for them to get a lump (nodule) as a reaction. As it's soon after vaccination it's also possible she could have been incubating myxi when jabbed. Or it could be something completely unrelated :)

My Bun got the myxomatosis vaccination a week ago and today a lump has appeared on her nose?! Could this be some form of reaction to the vaccination? If so does anyone know if it will just go down on its own? I'll upload a pic shortly.

Yes it can be a reaction to the Vaccine. However it is important to consult a Vet as it could also be that your Rabbit was incubating Myxomatosis when the vaccine was given.

Adverse reaction
A transient temperature increase of 1-2°C can occur.
A small, non-painful swelling (maximum 2 cm diameter) at the injection site is commonly observed within the first two weeks after vaccination. The swelling will resolve completely by 3 weeks after vaccination.
In pet rabbits, in very rare cases, local reactions at the injection site such as necrosis, scabs, crusts or hair loss may occur. In very rare cases serious hypersensitivity reactions, which may be fatal, may occur after vaccination. In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination. Recent or latent infection with field myxoma virus seems to play a role in this to a certain extent.

Taken from here:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/MSD...pension_for_injection_for_rabbits/-64396.html

Here's the photo. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just not too sure what t do with it being the christmas period. I'll ring my vets tomorrow and see what their opening times are
10857742_10153388209198356_2270416339675093862_n.jpg

I should note she had a check up before the vaccination which they told me her health was fine.

It does look like a Myxo nodule so I would try to speak with a Vet today. I'd check for other nodules and any sign of swollen genitals. Hopefully he will just have the one nodule which will slowly dry out and slough off. It may start to look quite unsightly, but he will hopefully remain well within himself and make a good recovery.

If vaccine reaction is confirmed your Vet needs to report it to the Vaccine Manufacturer.

It does look like a Myxo nodule so I would try to speak with a Vet today. I'd check for other nodules and any sign of swollen genitals. Hopefully he will just have the one nodule which will slowly dry out and slough off. It may start to look quite unsightly, but he will hopefully remain well within himself and make a good recovery.

If vaccine reaction is confirmed your Vet needs to report it to the Vaccine Manufacturer.

Thanks everyone for the help. It turned out just to be a small abscess which popped on it's own I think the cat must have bopped her nose without me seeing.

Thanks everyone for the help. It turned out just to be a small abscess which popped on it's own I think the cat must have bopped her nose without me seeing.

Phew, well that's good news !! Although I am not sure Bunny would think a nip on the nose was 'good news' !! Hope that he is healing up well now xx

Back