• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not getting better from ileus

Dental day!!! I'm seriously scared about the anasethic :( we have to drop him off at 8am. I'm dreading it so so much.

Should we give him his medication before hand?

He is eating independently now but only soft food and certainly shows appetite but is eating harder foods very very slow or spitting them out. We carried on with the meds yest even though he looked a bit better because we still syringe fed him sat but I didn't know if they interact with the anasethic. Our vets open at 8 which is when we have to drop him off?

Dental day!!! I'm seriously scared about the anasethic :( we have to drop him off at 8am. I'm dreading it so so much.

Should we give him his medication before hand?

He is eating independently now but only soft food and certainly shows appetite but is eating harder foods very very slow or spitting them out. We carried on with the meds yest even though he looked a bit better because we still syringe fed him sat but I didn't know if they interact with the anasethic. Our vets open at 8 which is when we have to drop him off?

I would not give him any medication this morning. Make a note of the time of his last doses to tell the Vet so he/she can decide on the GA protocol and additional meds needed. I'd ask for him to have supportive fluid therapy too.

Sending vibes !!

I would not give him any medication this morning. Make a note of the time of his last doses to tell the Vet so he/she can decide on the GA protocol and additional meds needed. I'd ask for him to have supportive fluid therapy too.

Sending vibes !!

Thank you for the advice. I asked the vet nurse and there was a box for it on the form and I wrote down his meds and last amount and time. I hope he is ok. They said to call at 3. :(

Hes Home! he was very pleased and had a big drink. Spurs all gone. Just hope he eats now!!

Yay !!

Having a drink is good (he'd better lay of the G+T for a bit though ;)) He may be a bit slow ( a couple of days) at getting back to 'normal' eating, especially if the spurs had caused any soft tissue damage. But hopefully once he realises that his mouth feels a lot more comfortable and his GI tract motility is restored to normal his eating will increase. Just offer him a variety of tasty foods to try to tempt him.

Glad he is home and drinking, as Jane says just try to tempt him with food now as it can take a couple of days to get them back to "normal".

Yay !!

Having a drink is good (he'd better lay of the G+T for a bit though ;)) He may be a bit slow ( a couple of days) at getting back to 'normal' eating, especially if the spurs had caused any soft tissue damage. But hopefully once he realises that his mouth feels a lot more comfortable and his GI tract motility is restored to normal his eating will increase. Just offer him a variety of tasty foods to try to tempt him.

We have all his favourites in. He just keeps putting his head down for a fuss. :)

Thanks for support. He has nibbled a bit of banana and hazel leaves. He has also been in the litter tray and done some little poops. :)

We have all his favourites in. He just keeps putting his head down for a fuss. :)

Thanks for support. He has nibbled a bit of banana and hazel leaves. He has also been in the litter tray and done some little poops. :)

That is good news! He is so lucky to have a wonderful bunny person.

I hope that he is now on the road to a full recovery !!

Back