• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Angora rabbit grooming tips

Lady Logamorph

Mama Doe
So I have fostered a lovely little angora for a local rescue and he has lots of lugs. The rescue have got many of the lugs off...in fact his legs were fused to his body and he couldn't walk! I'm trying to remove the remaining lugs by cutting them really carefully but I'm terrified of cutting his skin. Has anyone got any tips on the easiest way to remove them. I do have clippers but I'm frightened of scaring him or ripping his skin.

I personally wouldn't use clippers, I get the impression from the my vet they are a nightmare to use with Angora fur (they over-heat, jam up etc). I use scissors with Chloe and get as close to the skin as I dare, then just brush the remaining matted fur out with a wire brush. I spend about 10 minutes near enough every day trimming bits here and there. It's a nightmare!

I think if the fur is actually felted up then clipping will be the only option initially. It would be impossible to cut felts out as they practically stick to the skin. Clipping would definitely be a 2 person job.

So I have fostered a lovely little angora for a local rescue and he has lots of lugs. The rescue have got many of the lugs off...in fact his legs were fused to his body and he couldn't walk! I'm trying to remove the remaining lugs by cutting them really carefully but I'm terrified of cutting his skin. Has anyone got any tips on the easiest way to remove them. I do have clippers but I'm frightened of scaring him or ripping his skin.

I have clippers and they aren't scary at all, but I can understand if it's the first time you have thought of using them ...

Why not take the clippers and bunny along to the vet/rescue and get someone to show you how to use them? That's what I did when I first began to foster rescue bunnies and got my first pair of clippers x

Ok so I went out on boxing day and came home to find a huge ball of white fur in my living room next to a pair of scissors. I ran upstairs to check Henry and he has had all his fur cut off! My other half said I was being too wimpy so he did it for me when I was out :shock: I am glad he did though he is much happier he can jump and run now. So now I guess it's just a case of brushing every day so the new fur won't get matted.

Ok so I went out on boxing day and came home to find a huge ball of white fur in my living room next to a pair of scissors. I ran upstairs to check Henry and he has had all his fur cut off! My other half said I was being too wimpy so he did it for me when I was out :shock: I am glad he did though he is much happier he can jump and run now. So now I guess it's just a case of brushing every day so the new fur won't get matted.

:lol: glad he's all sorted! We need some photos now he's got his new haircut! We'll be judging your OH's hairdressing skills of course ;)

:D:D Have you any photos of the newly shorn bun?

Glad to hear your problem is (temporarily at least) solved!

Here he is....I don't think my OH will make a good hairdresser :lol:

16138163495_def8bde001_z.jpg

Awwwww!!!! He's tiny! I always thought angora rabbits were bigger than that! Maybe it's just because they usually have a few inches of fur covering them :lol:

I agree, I don't think your OH should pursue a a career change to hair dressing :lol: that is a lot of fluff that he managed to remove! I bet Henry feels a lot better now!

Awwwww!!!! He's tiny! I always thought angora rabbits were bigger than that! Maybe it's just because they usually have a few inches of fur covering them :lol:

I agree, I don't think your OH should pursue a a career change to hair dressing :lol: that is a lot of fluff that he managed to remove! I bet Henry feels a lot better now!

He is tiny in fact the same size as my polish rabbit? The rescue thought him and his siblings should be bigger as well but was wondering if his mum was underfed or something? He is lovely though so cute and friendly.

I'm saving the fur to make a scarf!

He is tiny in fact the same size as my polish rabbit? The rescue thought him and his siblings should be bigger as well but was wondering if his mum was underfed or something? He is lovely though so cute and friendly.

I'm saving the fur to make a scarf!

The only angora bunny I'm used to seeing photos of is bunnymummem's Chloe and she's MASSIVE!! I assumed most of the were nearly that big :lol:

Has he settled in well? Is he trying to tempt you to be a failed fosterer? ;)

The only angora bunny I'm used to seeing photos of is bunnymummem's Chloe and she's MASSIVE!! I assumed most of the were nearly that big :lol:

Has he settled in well? Is he trying to tempt you to be a failed fosterer? ;)

He's a diddy man I think they are normally bigger...poor little guy.

I have already collected 2 extras through failed fosterers so can't do it anymore or I will start bordering on being a hoarder :roll:

Back