• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bea has been admitted to the vets U/D 09/12/14 Sad news

Thank you everyone. I really wasn't expecting this :(. She seemed perky enough in herself when I left her yesterday morning (she was off her food and teeth grinding but still alert) and was at the vet first thing. They said she had recovered well from the anaesthetic and was taking her syringe feed well. I was expecting to pick her up this afternoon and it didn't even cross my mind that she'd die, which is odd as I'm normally not very positive.

The vet who called me to inform me said I'd have to pay for a post mortem but the vet who did her dental called me later and said he would do one for free and I'd only pay if samples are sent to the lab. He was very nice and surprised that they'd lost her. Part of me hopes there is an obvious underlying condition because it's horrible not knowing, thinking she had dental issues that could be sorted out quite routinely to this :cry:. Two out of 3 rabbits lost in 18 months :cry:.

I honestly don't know how people can do the "it's only a rabbit" thing because it breaks my heart every time.

I'm so very sorry your baby died so unexpectedly.

I hope the PM gives you some closure and that as time goes by you begin to heal.

Run free little one :love:

Thank you for your kind replies everyone.

Unfortunately the PM didn't give a clear indication of why she deteriorated so quickly :(. She was well enough not to require intensive care before it happened. He mentioned that she might have eaten something toxic but they live inside with me, are only allowed in my living room and nothing in their environment has changed. She was never a greedy rabbit anyway so if either of my pair was going to be poisoned it would be Jasper who will eat anything.

He mentioned something about a healed stomach ulcer and the appearance of her kidneys but both minor and not the cause of her deterioration.

I wish we had more answers, but it looks like it will remain a mystery. I don't know if it would be better or worse if she'd been at home with me. Obviously it would have been horrifying but at least I'd know then exactly how sudden it was. I use Ashleigh vets who I know are very good but you can't help but wonder.

Jasper seems ok without her at the moment. He's a bit daft at the best of times, but he is a very sociable (demanding :roll::lol:) rabbit. He spent all his time demanding that she groom him and will be lonely without her company. He does keep running up to the place she used to sit (where he'd wedge his head under hers) :cry:. That's the thing about bunnies. No-one wants to "replace" their beloved pet but you can't have a lonely bunny :cry:.

I'm so very sorry for the loss of Bea :( Sending hugs and comforting vibes your way.
Sleep well and sweet dreams, dear one. xxxx

Thanks again everyone.

I'm still gutted, but I know that I gave her the best life possible and that I did everything I could for her. It's not the same without her though :cry:.

Back