• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bunny

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Hi guys

I think I have a poorly bunny on my hands .......Dizzi has eaten her breakfast and has been running around the garden but when I went to put them back in their run and give them their fave treat she wouldn't eat it and kept flopping, she even let me snuggle her whilst she was flopped which is usually a no-no, I've offered her every food item she usually loves but she isn't interested .... and her ears are really warm (Rascal, who is acting normal has cool ears).

She can't seem to get comfy, changing position often, but isn't grinding her teeth or anything and as I say, half an hour before she was eating breakfast and running round.

My instinct is to get her to the vets now (especially with the her ears being warm ... I'm wondering if she has a temp) rather than wait and see ...... any ideas??

tia x

If it just looks like discomfort I would usually give them medication and leave it an hour and then take them to the vets but are your vets open on a sunday?

Thanks for your replies ...she doesn't look in pain ..... and her ears seem to be normal temp again now. I've given her some tummy rubs and she seems to be moving round a bit more. There are two vets that I keep alternating between, one is open until 12 on a Sunday, the other isn't but is much closer (10 mins rather than 30 mins car drive). I'm going to go back out now to clean the hutch etc and keep an eye on her.

Metaclopramide and zantac, but my vet gives me those to keep in case as they are quite prone to tummy ache. I would also start syringe feeding one of the powder mixes.

If she isn't back to eating any treats I would take her to the vet before they close, wouldn't want to leave it until tomorrow.

Thanks, I don't have any meds in that are still in date and I've just been back out and she's hunched up now with eyes half shut ...... so we're off to the vet!

What medication would you give Tim?

Please do not administer any gut motility medication or syringe feeds unless you are 100% certain there is not an obstruction within her GI tract. Giving Metoclopromide to an obstructed Rabbit could prove to be fatal. Syringe feeding an obstructed Rabbit could have a similar tragic outcome.

My advice would be to get her seen by the Vet. Far better to be safe than sorry, IMO

Good luck xx

I would never syringe feed a food until after a blockage has been ruled out by a vet. Syringing food in behind a blockage can be incredibly dangerous.

I would try to encourage movement and tempt bun with fave foods. The flopping sounds like tummy pressing which is a sign of discomfort/pain. If it were my bun and they were showing signs of discomfort and not eating an hour before the vets close I would be on the way already. Even if the vets were not closing I would probably not give them more than an hour to start eating again before packing them off to the vets.

Hope your little one feels better soon xxx

It's ok I would never administer any meds without them being seen by a vet first (I haven't got any for a start)!

Vet gave her a good check over and said that her gut has slowed down but there are still gut sounds.

She has to have a dental tomorrow as they think this is what has caused her to stop eating, one of her back teeth has grown and is pressing on her tongue.

They've given her two gut stimulants and some pain killers that will last 24 hours ....I have some more zantac to give her later and some recovery food (she's already had some).

They only had their teeth checked in September when they had their vaccs done!

She definitely seemed to know what she was talking about and she took her time checking Dizzi over. She wants me to go back first thing in the morning to see the 'bunny vet' who would be performing the procedure so he/she can make the decision re surgery.

It's ok I would never administer any meds without them being seen by a vet first (I haven't got any for a start)!

Vet gave her a good check over and said that her gut has slowed down but there are still gut sounds.

She has to have a dental tomorrow as they think this is what has caused her to stop eating, one of her back teeth has grown and is pressing on her tongue.

They've given her two gut stimulants and some pain killers that will last 24 hours ....I have some more zantac to give her later and some recovery food (she's already had some).

They only had their teeth checked in September when they had their vaccs done!

Spurs can easily develop in 2 months !! If the Vet could see a spur pressing on her tongue then it's very likely that is why she stopped eating. Hope all goes well tomorrow and you did exactly the right thing by getting her seen today xx

She definitely seemed to know what she was talking about and she took her time checking Dizzi over. She wants me to go back first thing in the morning to see the 'bunny vet' who would be performing the procedure so he/she can make the decision re surgery.
Excellent, as long as a rabbit expert thinks it needs doing you know you're doing the right thing.

The bunny vet didn't didn't want to do the dental on Dizzi today, he thought she was too poorly to get through it ok. He also said that he thought there may be another reason for her stopping eating completely and seemed to think she'd have gone off different foods rather than just stop altogether if it was just her teeth.

She had a bit of kale this morning, some dried herbs and a tiny bit of 'narna and she seems to be a bit brighter in herself .... so bearing this in mind he said he'd like to carry on with the gut/painkiller/recovery food treatment for today and see how she is tomorrow ...... obviously keeping an eye on her tooth because it will need doing anyway soon, but he'd rather she was feeling a bit better before going under an anaesthetic ...... especially as she seems to be (very slowly) heading in the right direction.

We took Rascal with us to the vets in case Dizzi needed to stay in (vet's recommendation) but since we've been home he is now refusing to eat (well I say refusing, he's had a bit of kale and some dried herbs but no hay) and he's just hiding behind the sofa!

Back