• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Practical advice please - poorly bun, pasteurella

My french lop Wooster was diagnosed with pasturella on Wednesday 26 of November. He had puss discharge from his eye and a little discharge from his nose. We were given baytril, fucithalmic eye drops and I also opted to add in panacur as I figured we would cover all bases.

He also brought him some protexin pro fibre pellets and as he wasn't interested in hay we also got some excel haycubes to try and tempt him.

His eye had got worse so we took him back in on Tuesday 2 December, we discussed the options with the vet and agreed that as he was eating (mainly pellets and a little veg, but still interested in food other than hay) and definitely brighter in himself we would continue with the antibiotics, he had lost a little weight and we were trying to extra food into him so we got some recovery paste and the vet gave us a box of excel dualcare (which is fab, is a new recovery pellet that's soulable so have be mixed to a syringable paste, simply made softer to make it easier to eat, or as nuggets). We also got him some readigrass to try and tempt him some more and more veggies.

Then Friday his eye was worse lots of puss, so back to the vets. This time it was agreed that we needed to try and flush his tear duct and as we still didn't want to risk sedation the vet wanted to try it under local (the vet he is seeing has a special interest in bunnies, keeps bunnies herself and the practice treats a local rescue centre and their bunnies so i am confident in them). He was a very good boy and let them flush his eye, the puss was draining out through his nose, so no blockages anywhere, they weren't able to clear all of it, but we hoped it would be more comfortable. We were then also prescribed metacam to help make him more comfortable (previously we had discussed it but decided he was doing well without it)

By Friday evening he had become very subdued and refused his dinner, we figured he was uncomfortable and tried him a few more times to see if he would eat. But no interest, he did have a drink as we brought the water bowl to him.

I checked on him during the night and noticed his eye was a little swollen, by Saturday morning his eye was very swollen, he'd not eaten, was still refusing food and he felt a little cold.

We rushed him to the vet, thankfully bunny vet was rostered on yesterday, he was heading towards stasis, his tummy was still making noises just not like it should have been and there was a little poop starting to come out so we were encouraged that we'd caught it early. So he was admitted warmed up, given some stuff to help his gut and syringe fed for a few hours and poop monitored. He also had all his medicine injected for that day. His eye swelling was as a result of the flushing and obviously being in pain is what's made him go downhill. As his third eyelid is swollen and protruding we also have lacri-lube to put on his eye throughout the day to prevent it from drying out and to help make him more comfortable. We have also been prescribed Zantac to further help his tummy.

Yesterday I was syringing him ok and very excited when he peed on my sofa and there have been more poops. It was my turn to stay up with him and feed him during the night. It became more of a struggle to get food into him but he would accept water and then he was adamment that he wanted to snuggle under the sofa, so I compromised and let him stay under there for a little while with a blankie and his snuggle safe. This morning it was back to oral medication and despite me mixing it with Apple juice it was a struggle to get into him today, he has has all of it now. And it was a struggle to get food into him but I am determined.

Today I can hear him breathing, he sounds like he has a cold, that kind of bunged up heavy breathing. I am keeping him warm, heating is on, he has blankies and a microwave wheat bag (I use the snugglesafe for over night), I will be continuing with the syringe feeding, a little and often, but does anyone else have any other practical advice? No vet support until tomorrow when surgery is open again and he has an appointment to get his eye checked. (We do have an out of hours service provided by vets now, but I am sure you understand that is vey much a last resort option).

Oh his teeth have been looked at and we can't see anything wrong with them, he is a house bunny we haven't separated him from his brother as we didn't want to add any further stress and figured he brother would have caught by now anyway, but he is completely fine.

Sorry to hear your bunny is so unwell. I have a bun with long term pasteurella.

Has your bun has a nasal swab taken? It could be that the bugs are resistant to the baytril. What meds is he on now? has he been given any metacam?

i would strongly recommend finding an exotics/rabbit savvy vet for treatment. it really did make all the difference to bisc and matt (both snuffle buns) x

Yes we have metacam.

No a swab hasn't been taken, I will discuss this with the vet tomorrow.

He has shown interest in banana and had a little nibble so I have mashed some into his recovery food, certainly makes it easier to syringe into him.

Thank you

He is seeing a vet with a special interest in rabbits, she herself keeps rabbits and the practice is the practice for a bunny rescue centre, I trust they know what they are doing.
Thank you

It sounds like it could be an abscess behind his eye, but hopefully I am wrong. Sending vibes for his recovery. Good luck.

Back