Thread: Rabbit claw falling off?

Mama Doe

Default Rabbit claw falling off?

Today I spotted a rabbit claw on the carpet Gave marbles a once over and it is one of her front claws, it's just come clean off. There's absolutely no blood either on the claw or on her. It looks like it's pretty much come off right at the base. The claw doesn't look diseased or anything.

Has this ever happened to any other bun? Does it require a vet check? She is absolutely fine otherwise, eating pooing etc and still moving and jumping as normal so it doesn't seem to be bothering her.

Thanks!

We had similar, but there was some blood. We think Clarence caught his claw in the wire front on his cage, he jumps up if you don't open the door quickly enough!. He didn't limp or show any pain, we just made sure it was clean.

Warren Veteran

Default Rabbit claw falling off?

Yep. I've noticed the odd one with no ill effect. I suspect he caught it in the carpet on the stairs when running up and down. Just keep an eye but it ought to be fine if no evidence of blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SJH; 01-12-2014 at 11:29 PM.
    HECTOR!!

It should grow back - just keep an eye to make sure it does normally Worth double checking the others too in case they've got a bit long and more prone to catching.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by katie88 View Post
    Today I spotted a rabbit claw on the carpet Gave marbles a once over and it is one of her front claws, it's just come clean off. There's absolutely no blood either on the claw or on her. It looks like it's pretty much come off right at the base. The claw doesn't look diseased or anything.

Has this ever happened to any other bun? Does it require a vet check? She is absolutely fine otherwise, eating pooing etc and still moving and jumping as normal so it doesn't seem to be bothering her.

Thanks!
    Yes it's happened now and again. I just keep an eye, but if there's no blood, don't worry too much x

Mama Doe

I've had an odd claw on the sofa before with no blood. Maddie seems prone to losing nails, she had another one that was stuck up above her foot once and it came off with no blood and she caught another one which did bleed and she carried on hopping round the front room like nothing happened tracking blood all over the carpet before we caught her I've no idea why as her claws are never long and Millie's never had a problem and they're sisters. They've all grown back with no problems anyway.

Mama Doe

Thanks everybody! Glad it's nothing to worry about, it was kind of freaky seeing a full nail on the floor!

I'll keep an eye to make sure it grows back OK.