• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit claw falling off?

katie88

Mama Doe
Today I spotted a rabbit claw on the carpet :? Gave marbles a once over and it is one of her front claws, it's just come clean off. There's absolutely no blood either on the claw or on her. It looks like it's pretty much come off right at the base. The claw doesn't look diseased or anything.

Has this ever happened to any other bun? Does it require a vet check? She is absolutely fine otherwise, eating pooing etc and still moving and jumping as normal so it doesn't seem to be bothering her.

Thanks!

We had similar, but there was some blood. We think Clarence caught his claw in the wire front on his cage, he jumps up if you don't open the door quickly enough!. He didn't limp or show any pain, we just made sure it was clean.

Yep. I've noticed the odd one with no ill effect. I suspect he caught it in the carpet on the stairs when running up and down. Just keep an eye but it ought to be fine if no evidence of blood. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It should grow back - just keep an eye to make sure it does normally :) Worth double checking the others too in case they've got a bit long and more prone to catching.

Today I spotted a rabbit claw on the carpet :? Gave marbles a once over and it is one of her front claws, it's just come clean off. There's absolutely no blood either on the claw or on her. It looks like it's pretty much come off right at the base. The claw doesn't look diseased or anything.

Has this ever happened to any other bun? Does it require a vet check? She is absolutely fine otherwise, eating pooing etc and still moving and jumping as normal so it doesn't seem to be bothering her.

Thanks!

Yes it's happened now and again. I just keep an eye, but if there's no blood, don't worry too much x

I've had an odd claw on the sofa before with no blood. Maddie seems prone to losing nails, she had another one that was stuck up above her foot once and it came off with no blood and she caught another one which did bleed and she carried on hopping round the front room like nothing happened tracking blood all over the carpet before we caught her :roll: I've no idea why as her claws are never long and Millie's never had a problem and they're sisters. They've all grown back with no problems anyway.

Thanks everybody! Glad it's nothing to worry about, it was kind of freaky seeing a full nail on the floor!

I'll keep an eye to make sure it grows back OK.

Back