• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

100% Free Range Rabbits?

Boots looks absolutely beautiful in your signature! I'm hoping to have mine roaming 24/7 in their rooms. I do have a territorial peeing/pooping problem with my hare when he's out of his cage, but thats most likely because he is not yet neutered, I'm getting him neutered soon! I'm hoping that fixes the peeing/pooping problem so he gets a lot more freedom :)
Thanks :thumb: Boots did a good job of pooping everywhere at first, I was sweeping poops constantly for a couple of days, but now he's claimed his territory he's really good :thumb: he likes to wee in a certain place so I put q tray there :)

Parsley Piert Parcels is entirely free range - only the office is off limits (using a dog gate) as my work is in there. We also keep the toilet door shut! He uses all the rooms at different times of day.

Peaches and Charlie could theoretically do the same bur Peaches has a bad back so does not do stairs and Charlie is blind so ditto - so they just stay inthe living room and kitchen at this time of year and use the conservatory as well in summer.

I always say I don't mind poops. They're easy to clean up!

Bonding 2 males is easier than females apparently.
It's worth a try before taking on more buns, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work :)

I hope my boys do bond ok, it will be so nice for them if they do :) and it will be easier for me, at the moment all I do everyday is play with my boys, I don't get any time for myself, don't get me wrong I love my boys to pieces and enjoy spending time with them, it would just be nice if they had the independence of playing by themselves and with another bunny.
If bonding is unsuccessful I will look at getting my mini lop a girlfriend later on in life from a shelter, probably when I've moved into a bigger house with more bunny playroom space :thumb:

Thanks :thumb: Boots did a good job of pooping everywhere at first, I was sweeping poops constantly for a couple of days, but now he's claimed his territory he's really good :thumb: he likes to wee in a certain place so I put q tray there :)

Sounds like my hare :lol: when he first arrived he pooped literally every single second, for every hop he did there was a poop! Now his pooping has settled down slightly but hoping the neutering helps settle his territorial marking out (especially the peeing) :D

Parsley Piert Parcels is entirely free range - only the office is off limits (using a dog gate) as my work is in there. We also keep the toilet door shut! He uses all the rooms at different times of day.

Peaches and Charlie could theoretically do the same bur Peaches has a bad back so does not do stairs and Charlie is blind so ditto - so they just stay inthe living room and kitchen at this time of year and use the conservatory as well in summer.

Parsley, Peaches and Charlie all sound lovely! how nice that Parsley is entirely free range! I'd love that for my buns, I think they would be a lot happier being free range. My hare is currently in his playroom binkying all over the place, I would love for him to have a few more rooms to run about in, it would give him so much more space to exercise!

Louie is totally freerange and has been since we got him at 10 weeks.

We use puppy panels around the television when we aren't here but, apart from chewing wires, he doesn't chew or destroy anything else :)

Louie is totally freerange and has been since we got him at 10 weeks.

We use puppy panels around the television when we aren't here but, apart from chewing wires, he doesn't chew or destroy anything else :)

Aww it's so nice to hear about every-bodies lucky free range bunnies! Louie looks so cute in your signature
Puppy panels are a good idea to stop the bunnies from getting to anything that could be dangerous, I'll look into those! might also work as a baby gate to stop him entering the living room and bedroom but will still be able to look out :D

Mottle and Peaches are in their own room for the winter. I have put cardboard under lino on the floor (lino isnt fixed) and the cardboard comes up at the edges so that it covers the skirting boards which are then also protected by puppy panels (the cardboard hides them so that they dont reach through the panels to nosh away).

The floor is stripped wood so I am covering it up in case they start on it. The windowsill is still unprotected ...

They have to be in one room cos we have two dogs.

I would also LOVE to have free range house rabbits. Wish my hares could come inside. I do go and sit in their shed sometimes but its not the same. I'd like the quad to be in too. Need a bigger house with three rabbit rooms!

I have a pair of contis who have their own room, no cage, and a small single bun who was free range downstairs, but she's just been bonded with a pair of boys so we will have to assess their destructive tendencies to check if this can continue!

Mottle and Peaches are in their own room for the winter. I have put cardboard under lino on the floor (lino isnt fixed) and the cardboard comes up at the edges so that it covers the skirting boards which are then also protected by puppy panels (the cardboard hides them so that they dont reach through the panels to nosh away).

The floor is stripped wood so I am covering it up in case they start on it. The windowsill is still unprotected ...

They have to be in one room cos we have two dogs.

I would also LOVE to have free range house rabbits. Wish my hares could come inside. I do go and sit in their shed sometimes but its not the same. I'd like the quad to be in too. Need a bigger house with three rabbit rooms!

I think I might be using that cardboard and puppy panel idea for my skirting boards, my bunnies love my skirting boards wayyyy too much :roll:
I need a bigger house too :lol: My rooms are relatively small, I wish I could have one huge bunny room!

I have a pair of contis who have their own room, no cage, and a small single bun who was free range downstairs, but she's just been bonded with a pair of boys so we will have to assess their destructive tendencies to check if this can continue!

That's lovely! I'm really looking forward to having 100% free range buns! I just hope it doesn't affect them when they travel, being cooped up in carriers, as they will be used to so much freedom, but I suppose it's no different to cats!

That's lovely! I'm really looking forward to having 100% free range buns! I just hope it doesn't affect them when they travel, being cooped up in carriers, as they will be used to so much freedom, but I suppose it's no different to cats!

Being in a carrier for the odd trip to the vet won't do them any harm :)

:wave: I was wondering if anybody has any 100% free range bunnies, who are free 24/7 and don't get caged at all.
My bunnies are partly free range, they get caged at night when I can't supervise them or if I'm not at home. I'd love to have mine free-roaming permanently, so was wondering if anybody else does this, and do you encounter any problems?

Yes, 100% free range, 24/7. Whether I am in or out :D

No cage, just a bed and litter tray. Oh and food, water and hay of course :lol:

Hi,
Bun is 100% free range he has an area under the stairs, theres tarp down followed by a rug and his fleece blanket, it has a dog basket full of hay in it and a little hidey house he never uses and his food and water bowl and some toys he also ignores!
He has 24/7 access to the hall, stairs and landing and if he wanted to go in the kitchen or bathroom he could but he doesnt like hopping on the lino!
When we are up he obviously has access to the living room too - the only reason we lock him out at night is he likes pooping on the sofa and cushions too much!!
he isnt allowed in the bedroom or spare room but not really for any reason - it doesnt matter if he gets in!
Bun is a dental bun so he has no incisors - and never chews - we are lucky really with this!

Mine used to be but they wouldn't stop eating the carpet/wallpaper and it kept making them ill. Can't afford to replace everything to make it bunny safe so they're penned when I'm not here/awake.

Hi,
Bun is 100% free range he has an area under the stairs, theres tarp down followed by a rug and his fleece blanket, it has a dog basket full of hay in it and a little hidey house he never uses and his food and water bowl and some toys he also ignores!
He has 24/7 access to the hall, stairs and landing and if he wanted to go in the kitchen or bathroom he could but he doesnt like hopping on the lino!
When we are up he obviously has access to the living room too - the only reason we lock him out at night is he likes pooping on the sofa and cushions too much!!
he isnt allowed in the bedroom or spare room but not really for any reason - it doesnt matter if he gets in!
Bun is a dental bun so he has no incisors - and never chews - we are lucky really with this!

:wave:
Bun is a lucky boy :) Having all that space to play! I bet he absolutely loves that :) I have lino on all of my floors and my rabbit's hate it, I'm going to have to invest in some carpets and rugs soon!
I wish I didn't have any chewing in my home :lol:

Mine used to be but they wouldn't stop eating the carpet/wallpaper and it kept making them ill. Can't afford to replace everything to make it bunny safe so they're penned when I'm not here/awake.

That's what I currently do with my bunnies, they have access to their rooms but when I'm asleep or out they get locked up in their cages. My hare doesn't mind being put in his cage but my mini lop has a strop and sulks over it :lol:

Back