• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue requirements re set ups

beki

Mama Doe
Can anyone advise what the usual rescue requirements are for set ups for 2 bunnies?

I have a 6x2 double hutch that should arrive soon. I'm not going to have a run permanently accessible. I am not confident enough with the amount of cats in the area and foxes to allow access to a run when I am not at home or at night (though the foxes usually live on the next road, in the winter I have seen footprints through my garden overnight).

I have a secure patio that I do let my rabbit run on when I'm at home and she can be supervised. If she is out my cats will usually sit out with her and they deter other cats usually. Less supervision and she has a 6x4 run.

Is this likely to pass a home check or am I going to face problems not having an attached run?

I'm just thinking what I need to do before I get Ruby a new friend

From what I can gather they all usually want a 6x2x2 hutch with an attached run, some want min 6x4, some want 8x4, I would contact the rescue you are interested in and see what they say.

Thanks, yes I probay am best ringing. I suppose I could attach the run but I still don't feel I could let the rabbits in it if I wasn't at home. I work part time though so I am at home a bit more.

Most rescues can advise on really solid runs to be secure. My run is a 6x6x3, it's 4 years old now and still strong enough for me to sit my fat butt on! Sadly the company that made it have gone bust now though :( Would you have the option to put an aviary around the hutch so the hutch could effectively be the bedroom that way?

No I can't put an aviary round it :( I have a narrow garden and patio and my husband is being funny about rabbit housing taking up a lot of space, especially since we have spent a lot of money landscaping it to give my son somewhere to play :( sheds are out too :( my run is a folding one which I can probably nail the folding parts to make it secure but it still needs to be moveable so that I can move it to put it on my grass

I'm wondering maybe if I can buy a run around tube and connector and connect it via the mesh on the run and hutch. I do actually have a great little piece of land around 1m wide by about 3 meters which would be great for a rabbit pen, my house is on one side and a wall on the other but it is way too narrow for a hutch to fit. If I can figure out some kind of ramp system I could let them have access to this. I could out a lid on it so cats couldn't get in too!!

Back