• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

String of poohs - emergency?

garfieldette

Young Bun
Hi

I am looking for some advice please. I have had my two rabbits for 2 weeks and they are my first rabbits so everything is new to me.

Last evening I thought George was a little off colour. He was sat on his own and seemed quiet but once I had the heating on he perked up and was running round the room happily, eating hay and vedge Ok. Both were fine this morning, eating and drinking and active. Came home from work and all was fine. Went back into their room about an hour ago to find a string of 11 poohs on a thread. I thought it was a long hair but looking closer it looks like a fine strand of natural twine which I think one of them has chewed off my laundry basket. I don't know which one has done it and I have been following them both round looking for poohs which they think is a game and are both running round the room happily, eating hay and begging for treats.

I don't know how serious this is. Vets first thing in the morning or emergency call out? Is there anything else I can do or should be checking.

Any advice really gratefully received.

How are they now? Do they seem 'off' to you?

Hmm. Personally I think I would wait, if they're fine in themselves and are eating/moving/pooing etc. It may be it just needed to get out of whichever bun's system and they're over it now. However this is merely my opinion, and others may not agree!

Hmm. Personally I think I would wait, if they're fine in themselves and are eating/moving/pooing etc. It may be it just needed to get out of whichever bun's system and they're over it now. However this is merely my opinion, and others may not agree!

Thanks for the response. They both seem fine, they are mooching about, begging for treats and eating hay. I was worried about him yesterday but seems totally fine today.

Hi

I am looking for some advice please. I have had my two rabbits for 2 weeks and they are my first rabbits so everything is new to me.

Last evening I thought George was a little off colour. He was sat on his own and seemed quiet but once I had the heating on he perked up and was running round the room happily, eating hay and vedge Ok. Both were fine this morning, eating and drinking and active. Came home from work and all was fine. Went back into their room about an hour ago to find a string of 11 poohs on a thread. I thought it was a long hair but looking closer it looks like a fine strand of natural twine which I think one of them has chewed off my laundry basket. I don't know which one has done it and I have been following them both round looking for poohs which they think is a game and are both running round the room happily, eating hay and begging for treats.

I don't know how serious this is. Vets first thing in the morning or emergency call out? Is there anything else I can do or should be checking.

Any advice really gratefully received.

How much do you think has come out compared to how much one/both of them have ingested? If it's about right or a large majority and they seem completely normal in themselves I'd personally be tempted to just watch them very closely for any sign of discomfort or stopping of eating/drinking/pooing. Give them lots of exercise to ensure the gut moves along fine. At the slightest sign of anything wrong I'd pop them to the vets for an examination and some medicine possibly, depending on what the vet says.

I really recommend Manor Vets who have 4 practices all over Birmingham. Marie Kubiak is fantastic but I don't think she works nights at the moment; but Steph, Ben and Lindsay are all great and I would have the utmost of trust for their diagnosis. Keep the string of poo if you plan to take them in!

I think this is very sensible advice :thumb:

How much do you think has come out compared to how much one/both of them have ingested? If it's about right or a large majority and they seem completely normal in themselves I'd personally be tempted to just watch them very closely for any sign of discomfort or stopping of eating/drinking/pooing. Give them lots of exercise to ensure the gut moves along fine. At the slightest sign of anything wrong I'd pop them to the vets for an examination and some medicine possibly, depending on what the vet says.

I really recommend Manor Vets who have 4 practices all over Birmingham. Marie Kubiak is fantastic but I don't think she works nights at the moment; but Steph, Ben and Lindsay are all great and I would have the utmost of trust for their diagnosis. Keep the string of poo if you plan to take them in!

Thanks Yaretzi.
I didn't think they had ingested any of it. I found a whole piece on the floor where one of them had chomped through it and left it. This string is like a very fine strand, a hairs width and about 3 inches long. I do have long hair, do you think they would eat a hair off the floor?

Ive been following them round all evening (much to their amusement) and have seen no signs of discomfort, there are both acting like they are hungry and eat anything I have offered including a pile of hay. I will carrying on watching them and see how it goes.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I have never seen anything like this string of poohs before!

They can actually do this just on their own fur when moulting, looks like a very ugly peal necklace.

I agree with the advice to keep an eye for any signs of not eating/pooping but not be too worried otherwise. A diet with plenty of hay helps make them resilient to the effects of injested hair etc.. as it carries it through the gut.

Back