• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny lost conciousness now has paralysis

I wonder if asking the Vet to get her back up on a drip may be a good idea tonight. It may be that she cannot recover, but it may be worth giving her another 24 hours. She may need some medication to keep her GI tract functioning too.

I am sorry to hear that she is not doing so well now

Thank you. Yes I think if there isn't any significant change by the morning we will take her back to the vets. Happily though, we got her to eat some spinach, broccoli, and carrot she she enjoyed. Again, all we can do is wait.

Thank you. Yes I think if there isn't any significant change by the morning we will take her back to the vets. Happily though, we got her to eat some spinach, broccoli, and carrot she she enjoyed. Again, all we can do is wait.

You are trying your best and it sounds like you are on the winning side :D I really hope the improvement sustains and continues and she gets better and better and better!! xx

Hi everyone
I'm afraid I have some very sad news. Steve's condition didn't improve on Saturday morning and she started to refuse water. She then began to chatter her teeth which was very alarming. She was still unable to move and we noticed a patch on her ear that looked sore. We decided to take her to the vet's for a frank discussion. The vet we saw wasn't the one that had treated her on Wednesday but had assisted. In her opinion Steve was looking worse. She told us that we could try her again with a drip and a treatment for a parasite but the patch on her ear would require antibiotics which would have adverse affects on their own. She said in her opinion Steve was not happy or in a good place. We didn't want her to suffer, I would have kept trying forever but the thought of her being in pain was unbearable. So we made a heartbreaking decision to let her go. I must admit it was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do. She was such an affectionate rabbit. I can't believe she is gone and I hope that she is at peace now. I just want to thank everyone on "rabbits united" website for the kind words and advise you really helped in the days after Steve's turn. I'm just thankful we got to spend a few more days with her. God bless to all our bunny friends. X x

So sorry u lost your much loved bunny, u did everything you could and in the end u put your bunny first, its not easy as we all want them to live forever but u did what was best for your bunny, binky free Steve xxx

Thank you everyone for your condolences. It's shocking how quickly illness can take a rabbit. I imagine that I will spend the next couple of months questioning our decision. Whether we could have done more for her or if she just needed more time to get better. But I know that she is resting now. Nothing can change that. :'(

Thank you everyone for your condolences. It's shocking how quickly illness can take a rabbit. I imagine that I will spend the next couple of months questioning our decision. Whether we could have done more for her or if she just needed more time to get better. But I know that she is resting now. Nothing can change that. :'(

i think grief makes you question everything anyway. but you knew her best and if pts came into your mind after seeing her then obviously it must have been the right time. i don't think you could have gone through with it unless you really believed it was in her best interests. hugs xxx

Back