• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help with litter training and bedding situations please!

lala2901

Young Bun
Hey everyone :)

So... My boys pebble and Jeff share a two tier hutch. There's a sleeping area, room for a litter tray, feeding area and then a place for their toys. Along with a 1x2 meter run attached to the hutch.

Now... My little boy pebble makes an effort to poop and pee in the litter tray (clever boy!) but Jeff... He poos in the bedding area, then moves all of the straw and throws it around, then tips up the litter tray and makes a mess... Then he sleeps in the empty litter tray!!

So my little pebble is making a bed which is being destroyed every day!

What's the best way to sort this issue??

Jeff is literally peeing everywhere except the litter tray and i don't know how to resolve the issue!

Thankyou

La x

You could try setting up two litter trays, that way one could have a bed while the other tips his up (that is if he doesn't just tip them both up though) x

You could use another tray, and weigh them down or wedge them in with something, Some people have had to resort to weighing down with a brick!

Mine have a litter tray per rabbit (the hares have two per rabbit as they like to use the whole shed as a litter tray) ... it is only the second week of the hares having two trays each so I dont know if it will sort it out yet.

I true two trays and jeff just throws them around! I thought about bolting them down??

Also, is newspaper safe to use in the litter tray? I out it in and then put sawdust and straw on top :)

I have 2 litter trays for my hare, and one very large one for my mini lop. I usually put strong double sided tape on the bottom of my litter trays so they can't toss the tray about and make a mess. I'd suggest getting a "trixie" cat litter tray (it's what I use for my buns), it is very large, very deep, heavy and hard for them to toss about :)
Newspaper is fine to line the base of the litter tray but please keep an eye that they don't start chewing it. My mini lop started chewing the newspaper in his litter tray so I had to remove it immediately and I no longer use it.
Another tip - I use wood pellet litter for my bunnies instead of shavings, wood pellet litter is heavy so my bun's can't throw the tray :lol:

Last edited:
Back