• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for flooring

Miso

New Kit
I need ideas on how to make my rabbits cages more cozier. They are inside but the room they are in is always so cold, it doesn't help either that the floor is tiles. At the moment, all I have down on top of most of the tiles is some cardboard. I've given them a fleece blanket too but they don't seem to care for them really. I was thinking of getting some vet bed and putting that on half of the cages and then on the other half putting down some hemp flooring ( http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/accessories/rodent__nests/192959 ) What do you think? or any other suggestions are welcome.:wave:

If they don't like blankets I'm not sure how they'll feel about vet bed - maybe get a smallish bit to try.

You could go for big underbed storage boxes and fill them with hay.

Maybe add a wood floor over the top of the tile for winter.

My indoor pair (Mottle and Peaches in my avatar) are on tiles. I put a large piece of wood which has bubble wrap and thin plywood on the bottom of it (was the end part of their outdoor hutch). They sit on this. I also put a bathmat with an underbed storage box full of newspaper, straw and hay for them.

They have a pine shelf unit with two shelves, their other underbed storage box is on the bottom shelf and I keep newspaper, hay and a dustpan and brush on the top shelf.

They do sometimes choose to sit on the tiles though.

I used a Snuggle safe and fleece end of last winter when we got her and she would be locked into cage at night. Since then she sleeps in my bedroom and has a card box with a pet/cat bed I've lined with vet bed, though still mostly prefers the bare floor... Her pen has carpet tiles in. Have you tried those or area rugs? Flat woven and rag rugs work very well here. I did get a little shaggy rag for the bedroom, but she uses it for jumping not lying.

Back