• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bronchoalveolar Lavage

tobyjones

Young Bun
Hi all,
My buck as had a respiratory problem since February, he’s had x rays and swaps but none of the antibiotics have had a sustained improvement on him.
The vet now wants to do a Bronchoalveolar Lavage. I've said ok to this, but I'm still a bit nervous. Has anyone had this done on their buns?
thanks
Toby

None of my Rabbits have had the procedure but I know of a couple of cases concerning Rabbits belonging to someone else. I believe it was in an attempt to better isolate the specific bacteria involved. AFAIK the Rabbits came through the procedure OK.

Here are some details about Bronchoalveolar Lavage

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...ndiv_TechniquesRabbit/BronchoalveolarRabs.htm

Thank you, yes the vet wants to do it isolate the bacteria as we have had different results from the swaps.
I'm just a bit nervous about him having it done, although he has been sedated recently for chest x rays and bloods.

He came through the procedure absolutely fine thankful. Unfortunately the lab couldn't culture a bacteria from the sample, and the vet thinks the bacteria is therefore "inter cellular". He's now prescribed more baytril and metronidazole.

I have been putting his baytril on his nuggets, but my vet wants me to give them to him orally from now on.
The problem I have is that he is a very jittery rabbit, you can barely touch him. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this. I was thinking of getting him in the pet carrier and putting a towel over him then and then administering it.

He came through the procedure absolutely fine thankful. Unfortunately the lab couldn't culture a bacteria from the sample, and the vet thinks the bacteria is therefore "inter cellular". He's now prescribed more baytril and metronidazole.

I have been putting his baytril on his nuggets, but my vet wants me to give them to him orally from now on.
The problem I have is that he is a very jittery rabbit, you can barely touch him. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this. I was thinking of getting him in the pet carrier and putting a towel over him then and then administering it.

Could you wrap him up firmly in a towel with just his nose/mouth exposed and have someone hold him on their lap as you administer the medication ?

Could you wrap him up firmly in a towel with just his nose/mouth exposed and have someone hold him on their lap as you administer the medication ?

I don't think we could get to put the towel round him to be honest. He only now lets us stroke him after nearly 2 years. He's a house bun which doesn't help as he has got a lot of places to run too! ha.
I was thinking of cutting a banana and putting them in there, but I guess that's the same issue as putting it on his nuggets.

Back