• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female rabbit humping male?

Greetings to all! :D

I recently got a new female rabbit, Lottie. She is a typical female - feisty. I'm completely okay with that, and I find it quite nice to have a different personality in contrast to the rest of my pets!

She was spayed 7 weeks ago and when I introduced her to my rabbit of four years, Dusty. (Who is un-neutered but completely harmless. He has had my friends female rabbit in his room before as well as young males and he has not even batted an eyelash. He is super calm - I know my rabbit!) she started humping his head? She still has a bit of a scar from her operation and so just in case he nipped her my reaction was to pick her up - no damage done and I invited my friends male round. She did it again and again and again. I know this is dominance, but is there and chance she will stop? My male is very patient, but I'm not sure if he would get annoyed and lash out?

I would also LOVE some advice about bonding and things. Much appreciated! :thumb:

sounds like dominance thing and she is telling him she is in charge, or that she loves him, it should calm down if he isn't reacting or chasing nipping biting out etc sounds like bonding should go ok in neutral territory

My female ruby used to regularly hump reggie, it didn't bother him (and on the odd occasion that it did he would give her a little nip and she would put her head down and push it under his chin). I think it was just to show him she was still in charge. Ruby and reggie lived together 5 years and it never stopped, the frequency decreased though. If it is bothering dusty I'm not too sure what you can do apart from move her away whenever she does it too much, she might get the hint.

I have a quad (in sig.) Frosty is the head of the quad. Today when I gave them brekky Daisy humped Frosty relentlessly until he hopped away and let her eat the greens he was scoffing! (Even though I scatter feed greens all over their shed).

So I reakon (as others have said) that its a dominance thing.

Back