• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Damp Hay - Should I Throw It Away

tammybunny

Young Bun
Hi

I just picked up two bags of hay from a farm shop near me and when I got them home I've noticed that they are damp inside. Looking at the bottom of the bag it looks like all the dust has kind of clumped together :-(

I think I know the answer to my question already don't I. Am I over reacting and let it out to dry, or should I just bin it and find somewhere else that sells nice dry hay for the rabbits?

Hi

I just picked up two bags of hay from a farm shop near me and when I got them home I've noticed that they are damp inside. Looking at the bottom of the bag it looks like all the dust has kind of clumped together :-(

I think I know the answer to my question already don't I. Am I over reacting and let it out to dry, or should I just bin it and find somewhere else that sells nice dry hay for the rabbits?

Do not use it! Take it back to the shop and ask for replacement bags and make sure they are dry before you leave.

Thought so, I've dumped them now. Will cost me more in petrol to return them, the last bag I bought was from the same farm and it was pretty good, shame the quality varies.

Does anyone know where I can get some good quality hay from? I've tried timothyhay.co.uk and they like that, is the quality of hay for pets just as good? My buns prefer the stalkiest hay, so should I go for Timothy and Rye, or the Ings?

Don't use it, it will start to go mouldy! I would definitely at least ring them and let them know.

hay4pets timothy and rye if you want something stalky. bisc is loving the latest batch as there are some super thick stalky pieces. :love:

It can sometimes be hard to find places but if you have the storage space buying a bale of quality hay from a local farm is often the nicest and by far the cheapest- mine only costs me £4 for a whole bale and it is lovely hay.

Back