• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I Feeding My Rabbits Too Much? Everyday Feeding Routine

Hi I'm in nottingham too :) I have just seen the offer to have a bale of hay delivered to you but if you are stuck I don't mind lending a hand also.

Martin's farm in Arnold sell bales as do spring lane farm shop in lambley. Where in nottingham are you as there is a pet shop on carlton hill that sells small bags of nice hay.

Hi I'm in nottingham too :) I have just seen the offer to have a bale of hay delivered to you but if you are stuck I don't mind lending a hand also.

Martin's farm in Arnold sell bales as do spring lane farm shop in lambley. Where in nottingham are you as there is a pet shop on carlton hill that sells small bags of nice hay.

Aww that is so kind of you! The only problem I have is storing the hay, as I live in a one bedroom flat! I don't know if I would have the space to store it, and I'm not totally sure if I could store it indoors. I'm in Bilsthorpe, so a bit further towards Newark than Nottingham!

Ah I have never been but I do have a rough idea where bilsthorpe is, it's on the way to ruffled park I think isn't it? I can see a 1 bed flat being a problem with storing hay :( I think you might be able to get good hay from white post farm if you can get there, I'm sure I have seen it for sale in smaller bags but I haven't been for about a year

Last edited:
Ah I have never been but I do have a rough idea where bilsthorpe is, it's on the way to ruffled park I think isn't it? I can see a 1 bed flat being a problem with storing hay :( I think you might be able to get good hay from white post farm if you can get there, I'm sure I have seen it for sale in smaller bags but I haven't been for about a year

I didn't think to look at white post farm! I live quite close to white post as well! I will have to have a look next time I'm passing :) Great idea!

Had an interview near Bilsthorpe once!

I made a new thread here about my Saturday trip if anyone else is interested :)

What a co-incidence!
I had to get some hay from our local corner shop this morning as I ran out. The bunnies aren't impressed as it was cheap stuff haha. I'll have to see if I'm free for the Saturday trip :)

Re: storage, we used to store ours in kitchen bins, the type with the flip lid

:wave:

Didn't think to use a kitchen bin! Fab idea! When I open a new packet of hay I usually just stand it somewhere, and when I play with the buns they like to push it over and the hay goes EVERYWHERE, the bin idea is great, thanks! :D

why are we feeding pellets at all?

I keep Belgian Hares! I saw an article asking when there is so much natural forage available why do we buy pellets (I feed Burgess Excel) the answer in my case is because they love them. I feed a handful of pellets to my hares twice a day and hay vegetables fruit and forage are fed at another two meals. However now we have taken them off the grass for winter so i have to take this to them instead of them having constant access.

I keep Belgian Hares! I saw an article asking when there is so much natural forage available why do we buy pellets (I feed Burgess Excel) the answer in my case is because they love them. I feed a handful of pellets to my hares twice a day and hay vegetables fruit and forage are fed at another two meals. However now we have taken them off the grass for winter so i have to take this to them instead of them having constant access.

I feed excel burgess to my Belgian hare too :) Mine absolutely loves them! I've read once that Belgian hare's need a lot more food than the average rabbit due to their extremely high metabolic rate, so the pellets are probably a good thing with them :)
Mine prefers grass to hay so I try to pick him as much as possible along with his wide verity of veggies, he has a massive appetite!

My hares certainly do get through LOADS of food. They have twice as much as my other rabbits (5 lionhead crosses and a mini lop).

My hares certainly do get through LOADS of food. They have twice as much as my other rabbits (5 lionhead crosses and a mini lop).

My Guinness gets twice as much food as Pepsi, they're both on new diets now
2 handfuls of pellets for Guinness in the morning, 1 for pepsi
unlimited hay all day, (topped up morning and night)
In the afternoon I fill their treat balls up with a few pellets to give them something to do
and at night they get a large salad with lots of verities veg :D

They're both doing better on this new feeding routine :thumb:

Back