• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay places

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
Hey guys! Haven't been around in ages, sorry!

Just wondering which hay suppliers we all use. Hay for pets has put their delivery up to £10 and its just a bit much now. The Hay experts isn't an option either as their delivery is £13. Just looking for some other companies and I'll check if their delivery is any cheaper :) sadly farm hay isnt an option either as I don't drive and the nearest farms are well over an hour away so none will deliver.

Sucks living in the highlands at times :(

Just wondering which hay suppliers we all use. Hay for pets has put their delivery up to £10 and its just a bit much now. The Hay experts isn't an option either as their delivery is £13. Just looking for some other companies and I'll check if their delivery is any cheaper :) sadly farm hay isnt an option either as I don't drive and the nearest farms are well over an hour away so none will deliver.

isn't delivery free on hay for pets? how about timothyhay.co.uk?

Hey just wanted to say hi :wave: didn't know there was anyone else from RU around up here ! I'm about 25 miles south of Inverness, and yes I agree we get penalised big time when it comes to delivery costs. Not sure if it's an option, but P & H do deliver for free on orders over £29, I must admit I do use them, for heavy stuff like carefresh and kitty litter, usually get cheaper online prices too. Just a thought, I know not everyone likes them.

Sorry no help as I am down in NE England fortunately for me.

But it will probably be best to try and work out the price per kg (including the additional delivery charge) based on your monthly usage and buy it in bulk if you can.

For instance I will normally buy 9kg of meadow hay and 9kg of timothy & rye from H4P per month.

From H4P, if I ordered a 9kg bag of hay (£16+£10=£26) it would be £2.80 per kg, but if I ordered 2 bags of 9kg (£32+£10=£42) it would be £2.30 per kg.

From P@H, if I ordered the equivalent amount of Timothy Feeding Hay which comes in 1kg bags, it would cost a fortunate at £4 per kg, (£4x9kg=£36) and the equivalent amount of the large bag of Bedding Hay at £6 per bag. P@H website doesn't state weight but the bag is around half the size of the H4P 9kg bag so I would need at least 2 (£6x2=£12), so in total (£36+£12=£48 ) it would be £2.60 per kg.

Have you tried timothyhay.co.uk? I think it is grown in Scotland somewhere and delivery is included in the cost of the hay although I think there are some exclusions.

Not being funny here.... Do you have any local farms or equine suppliers locally?

Often they'll sell bales and deliver them...

Back