• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rain protection for sides of walk in run

So my walk in run has been super over the summer, but with all this terrible wet weather the rain has heen blowing in the sides. What have people done to solve this that isn't an eye sore.
would you post pics to give me some ideas please

I don't have it any more so I can't post pictures but I bought cheap plastic venetian blinds from ebay in a dark brown colour and attached them to the sides of my run. If it was nice weather I'd open the blinds so the buns could see out and the air could circulate but even if it rained, the open slats kept the worst of the rain out. If it was bad weather, I'd tilt the slats slightly downwards or close them completely (it was a horizontal blind of course).

I used clear tarps from ebay held in place by those elastic things with a large plastic bobble on them.

So my walk in run has been super over the summer, but with all this terrible wet weather the rain has heen blowing in the sides. What have people done to solve this that isn't an eye sore.
would you post pics to give me some ideas please

I have exactly the same problem ! I might give the clear plastic tarp a go myself, but it will have to be tied on for dear life, we get terrifically high winds up here ! Oh I'm not looking forward to this winter at all :(

I have just taken my lovely aviaries down and made a winter run ( back to climbing in ) I have found the aviaries just hold too much water on the top if using tarp . With a normal heighten I can sweep it off . Keeping everyone dry is so stressful . Gutted as love my avairy !

I think I woul go for rigid clear plastic. I saw an aviary done with this and I was quite impressed. Or corrugated stuff which you can take down next year.

I have just taken my lovely aviaries down and made a winter run ( back to climbing in ) I have found the aviaries just hold too much water on the top if using tarp . With a normal heighten I can sweep it off . Keeping everyone dry is so stressful . Gutted as love my avairy !

What a great idea. Think I will do this for the hare's new run.

I think I woul go for rigid clear plastic. I saw an aviary done with this and I was quite impressed. Or corrugated stuff which you can take down next year.

I would agree, you can add a wooden baton to one side so it's angled and the water runs straight off and it won't come off in the wind. I wish the diy shops would sell the capped screws in say packets of ten for a few pounds, instead of £16 for too many :)

I use the rigid corrugated clear pvc panels for the sides of mine... I've attached them with eye-screws to the wooden battons of the run...they are very solid,rain, wind and fox proof and my buns can see out, they also don't get any rattling or tarp type noises. The eye-screws i screwed in by hand after making a small drill hole in the pvc and so can be easily removed in spring.

I got my pvc panels from Wickes... about 8 pounds a piece (5 ft by 3 ft approx.) I wouldn't use anything else now, they can be cut to size ( if careful ). They look good too, as I was worried about the 'eye-sore thing'... I live on the edge of the Peak District so get very high speed / strong gusty weather here.. they work a treat on mine and I wouldn't use anything else now.

Back