• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I get two young rabbits at the same time?

IzzyWizz

New Kit
Hi there,
Want to get a male and female pair of rabbits ask have read that they get on the best. First looked at adoption centers but there aren't a male/female pair around me that are suitable. So I'm now looking at getting a pair elsewhere.

However, now there are issues regarding neutering involved. Would it be better to get one rabbit and neuter/Spey then get another and bond them or two who are already used to living together? Worried about it getting lonely on its own :(

Have an indoor cage in the garage and an outdoor hutch so could keep them separate temporarily if needed after operations.

Did you just look online or call up/visit the adoption centres? They often only put a selection of the rabbits they actually have online and young, neutered, paired up rabbits are probably the sort that go in/out more quickly so maybe don't get registered online. If you like the look of two single rabbits they have they'll usually pair them up for you. Also they often have waiting lists so if there is something specific you want they might be able to pull bunnies off that for you.

If you can get two single pre-neutered bunnies and bond them as they arrive at your home, that would be next easiest. Otherwise if you are getting non neutered bunnies I'd probably go for getting them one at a time, you'd need to keep them separate anyway. That way you could start with a boy and then once he was neutered and healed look for a female companion, ideally pre-neutered. It also means you don't go through getting two separate rabbits, neutering them and then risk they don't get on and by that point you are very attached.

I first got my male, Sam, had him neutered, then got Penny. I kept them separate but able to see each other until I had Penny neutered. I spent a few weeks being patient and giving them supervised time together. They got on fine and are best of friends!

Hiya... Rescues often have neutered males and females that they can bond for you...

Fee x

Personally I don't think it's fair to get one first then a second when the first is neutered, as it means your original bunny has to live alone for a considerable amount of time which isn't natural or very nice for them. I would persevere with rescues, some buns will come up :)

I found two single rabbits (one male, one female) at our local RSPCA. They bonded them for me and hey presto - ready made, neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, health checked bunny family - easy peasy

:love:

They said they tend to keep them as singles because its easier to rehome them then

Back