• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is straw warmer?

Alicia

Mama Doe
I use newspaper, then a layer of woodshavings then lots of hay as bedding for the bunnies, but the hay gets eaten and flattened down quite quickly so I don't know how much warmth it gives them. I wondered if straw was any better for winter, will it keep them warmer?

I've found Lopsy will pull his hay back up when it's cold (had a sneaky-peek this morning) but straw is very good. Watch out for it poking them though, as it's stiffer and can poke into eyes and stuff!

I use Supreme barley straw, it's lovely and soft, and gives the buns somewhere warm and snuggly to go, if they ever decide to go inside instead of sitting in the run in the freezing cold! :roll:

Hi, I got advice from RU recently, and Barley Straw, was recommended.. I've got some and have started to use it.
But I always flatten it down like a bed layer, I too am a bit paranoid about them having a mini panic and running into a strand... I may seem silly, but I try to make up 'the beds' with the Buns there, and try not to change the angle of their ' quick run ' zones.. I pat it down, nice and neat, and then they have control.

Back