• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

possible myxomatosis

el1983

Mama Doe
Update***05.12.14***I've not been on here for ages now but I have 3 bunnies, Bella, woody and Jessie. I've had Woody to the vets and he thinks its a possible mild case of myxomatosis. I have Baytril and metacam to give him. Can I give him the medicine in food? I think I will struggle getting it in his mouth. I have put him in my porch in a cage as the vet said to put him in the garage but I want him closer. Does anyone have any advice on caring for him please, I'm so worried. The girls are outside but separate, I had them all together for a week as we were trying to bond them. I've had to separate them though because the girls kept having a go at each other but now I'm worried the girls will get it too. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Firstly, there is no problem in putting meds in food.

Secondly, are they all vaccinated?

If so (and I have no personal experience) I understand they can recover well from nodular mixi.

I think you are right to keep a close eye and return to the vet if there's any worsening.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have the girls been vaccinated? I can't really offer much advice on Woody but keep an eye on the girls especially if they've been in contact, personally id get them checked over too but thats just me!
Hope someone can be of more help soon

Hi, thanks for replying. He has a thick nodule looking thing on his eyelid and is snuffly. They were all vaccinated but that has ran out as I missed the booster because I had a baby (my 3rd) and I totally forgot about boosters! Im such an idiot :'(

Hi, thanks for replying. He has a thick nodule looking thing on his eyelid and is snuffly. They were all vaccinated but that has ran out as I missed the booster because I had a baby (my 3rd) and I totally forgot about boosters! Im such an idiot :'(
Please don't blame yourself, just focus on getting them healthy as that's all that matters now.

Obviously you cant vaccinate woody because he is already infected but focus on getting him better - I would also ask your vet about vacvinating the two girls, obviously get them to check for myxi in them too but if they're clear they might be able to be vaccinated depending on what your vet reccomends :wave:

Yes, vaccinating the girls would be a good plan. Myxi is spread by biting insects so it's not particularly contagious so hopefully they'll avoid it.

That he's got a nodule is a good sign as myxi goes as that implies nodular myxi which is much milder, it's possible he's still got some immunity from his previous vaccination.

Keeping him warm and pampered and then just treating any symptoms as the arise, it usually takes 4-6 weeks from it appearing to being completely healed.

Thank you ladies. Ive seperated him from Jessie, is this the wrong thing to do? I dont want to make him lonely but I wasnt sure if he should be with her? It will mean bringing her inside as well though.

Woody is still with us. I have him in a dog crate in the kitchen. Hes still snuffly but there doesnt seem to be crust on his nose. His nose is still swollen and his eyes are still clear, they have had just a very slight bit of discharge which was clear. He's still eating but im concerned that ive not seen him drinking. I got him a bottle yesterday rather than a bowl as he is used to a bottle and I can keep a closer eye on what hes having.

Hi just a quick update on Woody. We went to the vets and he was vert pleased with his progress. He still has his secondary infection which is the snuffles, he has given me a second week of baytril and metacam and if thats not helping after a week we will look at doing the injections. He said his snuffles may never go away so we will have to wait and see about that, but im just pleased that he made it to his nxt vet visit! His nose looks pretty crusty and it looks like somes dropped off but im guessing it is a nodule thats come away as his nose was swollen, it looked like there was a small nodule in his nostril. I will keep you posted :)

Update on Woody so far** he's still doing well, not back at the drs until nxt Friday but the swelling of his nose seems to of gone right down. It does look like he has lost some of one nostril :( bless him. He's not as snuffly which is brilliant so fingers crossed he's getting better.

Thank you, hes such a lovely boy. Ill add a pic of his nose, not sure if he will lose the other side :-/ hes really good in himself, eating well and drinking.
d4c980612635dcac5b801814c7e65212.jpg

What a horrible disease, why has a cure not been found for it yet, I can understand that years ago rabbits weren't kept as pets so much but now they are :( we just have to make do with a vaccine that still allows tgem to get it, just not as bad.

My little man is still staying strong ♥♥♥ hes being such a good boy in the kitchen, he has the full fun of the kitchen now all day and night and he never makes any mess bless him. Booked in to see the vets again on Friday, im not sure what he's going to say, Woodys snuffles seem to have cleared up but hes lost a pretty big part of his nose :( hes eating still, drinking, everything is good. The only thing im concerned with is his poo, some seem small and hard so ive ordered some Oxbow Immune vitamins type of thing, which im hoping will help sort him out, after being on anti biotics for 2 weeks and the illness itself. When I get paid im going to order some timothy hay to use for feeding instead of the usual hay from the farm shop. Here are some pics of my bun ♥♥♥
53d47e09a0a99ddeca05f5c5ea6ca320.jpg
7bce1cb3070a0a37eefda5e73fd885bd.jpg
4d64f51a3a734b37f62c57454784f786.jpg
0b2428201dc6805e24e3f62644736032.jpg
7d5890eac79964556968358206fddd91.jpg

Keep strong Woody my handsome boy ♥

Just an update on Woody. We saw a different vet tonight who was lovely, he said it looks like the flap that's left of his nose will be coming off as well and they are leaving it for now to see how it goes as he doesn't want to make things worse by tidying his nose up but Woody not surviving the op so we have to see how that goes and if its looking sore or manky then take him back in but he seems to this it will cover over and wont effect him. He saud we would be really unlucky to lose him at this stage but I dont want to get my hopes up just yet. Hes upped his metacam from 3 drops to 0.75 as he said the first dose wasnt enough. Id noticed that he seemed better the first part of the day after his meds and the vet agreed ut wasn't enough, the other vet hadnt even put that he had myxi!!! Im going to use the guy we had today from now on. Fingers crossed for Woody and lots of vibes that his nose comes off in the nicest possible way :-/

Thank you. Me too, he is such a trooper bless him, animals are amazing how they just get on with it. How is Pootle?

Back