• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations - do I need to do anything?

Kirotea

Mama Doe
The girls are getting their vaccinations tomorrow. I haven't taken them for these before as they were with the RSPCA still last time.

Do I need to do anything or keep an eye out for anything after?

They are pretty good patients at the vets usually so I'm hoping they will be tomorrow!

Dreading getting them in the box though as we struggled last time.

No, you don't need to do anything, they eat right up to the vac and after unlike cats. They don't have adverse reaction or none of mine do (I have 7) they don't even mind the injection its self :) hope this helps.

Hiya. When my bunny had the vaccine last year she developed these scabs in her ears but the vet at the time said that was very rare, and the one who gave her the booster this weekend said she'd never heard of it either. She also seemed a little bit flat and under the weather for the rest of the day but Buster kept her company and groomed her constantly. Personally I think she was just milking it!

Sure they will be fine :)

I've got the rest of the afternoon and tomorrow off work so I can keep an eye on them anyway.

I'm dreading getting them in the box. I hate being the bad guy because they're not cuddly bunnies anyway so they like me even less after a vet trip!

Dandy and Beano are not cuddly bunnies either, in fact they are definitely the opposite :lol: I always feed them their pellets in their carrier, which I leave in their shed all the time. And that means I can get them in without having to handle them, although Beano seems to have a sixth sense and knows when it is vet day, sometimes I have to pick him up, which he is not impressed with at all :shock: :lol: I always find that they are very well behaved at the vets, they are very submissive and frozen to the spot, so it is not a pleasant experience for them but they are always fine as soon as I get them home :thumb: I've never had a bunny with any adverse reactions to vaccinations but I think the most common one would be a raised lump at the injection site, but I think that's fairly rare. I hope it's not too stressful for you all.

Dandy and Beano are not cuddly bunnies either, in fact they are definitely the opposite :lol: I always feed them their pellets in their carrier, which I leave in their shed all the time. And that means I can get them in without having to handle them, although Beano seems to have a sixth sense and knows when it is vet day, sometimes I have to pick him up, which he is not impressed with at all :shock: :lol: I always find that they are very well behaved at the vets, they are very submissive and frozen to the spot, so it is not a pleasant experience for them but they are always fine as soon as I get them home :thumb: I've never had a bunny with any adverse reactions to vaccinations but I think the most common one would be a raised lump at the injection site, but I think that's fairly rare. I hope it's not too stressful for you all.

First time we went to the vets I put some food in the box and they just got in. Last time they knew and wouldn't get in, we had to chase them around and they scratched my mum to pieces when she caught them. I've had the box out and have been putting hay and food in there the last few days without shutting them in but I think they are going to be wise today! They aren't actually that bothered once they're in there and usually start eating again after a few minutes! They've always been good as gold for the vet. I don't think they feel safe when I pick them up because I'm always nervous as they kick so much. He just picks them up and they just sit there and it makes it look like I'm making up the kicking! :roll:

When I took my buns to the vets at the weekend I went armed with a banana so that as soon as they had been seen they could have a little nibble. The vet said she's never seen anything like it, but they were both very relaxed and happy that they got a treat straight away :) They will be absolutely fine I'm sure.

I'm sure they'll be fine, I'm just a bit of stresshead (read as "massive stresshead") and they sense it I think! :lol:

Feel like a proud parent, they were so well behaved! :oops:

Millie has put on a little bit of weight but is still a healthy size and Maddie is healthy too. Both have had their claws cut too. I was worried for nothing!

Back