• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!!!!!!!

KSRGRIFF

New Kit
My rabbit was spayed yesterday, she is very nervous and HATES being picked up, how do I pick her up with out hurting her to check her wound and how hell do I give her her medication!! Please, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Metacam is actually quite tasty to bunnies usually, if you mis her dose with some Ella's kitchen baby food it's even yummier and she should just eat it straight out of the syringe :thumb: I haven't had a female rabbit spayed (fern was done by the rescue before I adopted her) so not entirely sure if its perhaps possible to peek at the wound without lifting her? Or you could try just lifting the front legs so she feels a but safer with her back legs still on the ground

Hiya. When my bunny was spayed I used the trick that others on here recommended before which is to hold a piece of her favourite food up above her head so she had to stand on her back legs and stretch up to get it. That gives you a pretty good view of the tummy. She actually also spent quite a lot of time just flopped on her side so I could have a good look then.

As for the meds, she was quite docile the first few days, but it was still a bit of a mission and a 2 man job. We picked her up, very carefully, and put her on a towel on the table and wrapped her in it. Then my boyfriend stood behind her so that if she backed up she couldn't go anywhere and held her shoulders. That left me the easy (!!) job of getting the meds in her mouth!

Good luck. Hope she's ok and eating/weeing/pooing alright?

(P.s. My boyfriend was just very rudely awoken when I accidentally selected all the text in my post and hit "speak" on my phone!! Apparently Siri reading rabbit related posts is the worst alarm clock ever!! There are however tears streaming down my face I laughed so hard!!)

Last edited:
😂😂😂😂😂 sorry, but that is hilarious!!!!! So I've checked her wound, it all looks fine, I'll get my husband to help with the meds. I can see that's she's pooed, a very small wee, I don't know if she's eaten, I've just Given her some greens and a bit of mashed up banana, her favourite. Hopefully she'll eat

A bit of banana for meds is my fail-safe! However, all my bunnies have taken Metacam from the syringe.

As to the wound, I just tried to check it whilst Louise was lying down as she was a hands-off bunny! She was very good and didn't seem to pick it at all.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girls were spayed in the summer & as I'd never had a bunny spayed before (only had boys previously) I was as worried as you. I found that holding a treat or similar above them so they'd stretch for it was a good way to check their wounds. To medicate them, I measured it out in the syringe but then squirted it into a fenugreek Crunchie and gave it to them like that. Not a problem! I've also found that (usually) bunnies like metacam and so if I offer them the syringe, they come over and take it nicely like that. One of mine thinks it's a great treat & really looks forward to it! :lol:

Ah pleased to hear she is looking ok. It's very important that she eats so it's worth handing her pieces of hay etc to see if she'll eat them. That said, eating anything is better than nothing so favourite herbs etc usually work quite well.

Keep us posted :)

Back