• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fitch bedding for sore hocks?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi

I have a rabbit who's had sore hocks all her life. She currently has a thick layer of hay on the floor of her hutch and run which suits her quite well. However I've seen the fitch bedding and it looks really soft and comfortable. Would it be suitable for sore hock rabbits? Could I provide a thick layer or does it squash down and lose cushioning?

I don't have any experience with sore hocks but I do use fitch. It does compress down though especially if they lie on it in the litter trays but does still feel quite soft. Not very helpful - sorry!

Totally would recommend Fitch. I've been using it for the past 2 and half weeks. There's the odd (as in needle in a haystack odd) bit that's a little harder, but most of my 20kg bale was nice and soft, bit like compressed Andrex Classic! I compressed half the bale into smaller bags and box to store in. It compresses but is as soft as anything else I've tried and closest to the Carefresh Natural but nicer. (There is a thread somewhere from last month listing those I tried.) Also absorbs better than anything else I've used so far. Our Head of Exotics said very important for sore hocks is to keep the cage/litter as dry as possible. The Fitch is nice and dust free and buns' fur on hind paws is getting nice and thick again. I do check the litter several times a day and sprinkle extra on to cover damp patches if required.

Back