• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help required with orphan kits

I have adopted 6 orphaned 14 day old kits and lost 3 to an enteritis type illness, any hints and tips or supplements tried and tested and successful please?

I would start a new thread in the 'Health' section as your question may get over-looked by asking it here.

What milk substitute are you feeding the Kits ? Hand rearing from such a young age is fraught with complications, sadly.

Are there any people in your area experienced with hand rearing kits? It might be worth asking in the Rabbit Chat section.

We have always used double strength puppy milk powder and find esbilac much the best. How old were they when orphaned? did they have any of mothers milk at all?

I am so so sorry that must be heartbreaking -

I would be very tempted to try again to find a nursing doe by ringing round rescues etc -

or at the least try changing to something other than cimicat - I have always been told that puppy milk is best and double strength if they are not taking the quantity they need for the fats etc.

You can also try adding a probiotic in very small amounts to help the gut flora. We used avipro

I would offer to try and help by taking them on but we are a long way from you in Peterborough.

I managed to hand rear a 3 week old and she is now about 8 months and spayed/bonded.

I fed her full fat goats milk and probiotic powder. It seemed to work okay. She didn't put weight on like she would have done if being fed by mum, but she's caught up a bit now.

I syringe fed about 4-5 times a day only and fed only as much as the baby would take until she turned her head away to say I've had enough. Just held the syringe to her mouth and let her drink rather than putting it inside her mouth - syringing into the airway is a real danger

Back