• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice re flooring for a puppy pen please

garfieldette

Young Bun
Hi

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice please.

I am creating a setup so I can adopt two rescue bunnies to become house bunnies. I have a 6ft x 3 ft puppy pen in a 12ft x 10ft carpeted bedroom. I am looking for some advice on what to do for flooring in the pen.

I have ordered some lino but wondering if I need to create some sort of base with sides to stop everything getting kicked out through the grids.

I have 4 indoor guinea pigs and they have a correx base with 6inch sides in their c&c cage. I need to order some more correx as I am increasing their c&c cage so wondering if I should order another sheet and make a correx base for the puppy pen. Would rabbits just eat the correx?

If no to the correx base, what do you use for the floor of your indoor set ups? Im finding it hard to separate the messy needs of my guinea pigs with the idea that a rabbit will keep its homebase clean:)

Any advice gratefully received.

If it were me, I'd just make another base in much the same way as your GP C&C. The bunnies probably will nibble at it but if you make it a little lower than 6" (perhaps the same height as their litter tray), it'll be less 'in their face' and possibly not such an attraction to them? Bunnies are a lot tidier than piggies in my experience BUT whatever the species, hay gets EVERYWHERE :roll:.

Thanks for the response Mackers. I will order an extra sheet of correx and make them a base. Even with the 6inch sides the piggies manage to kick everything over the side. I've killed 3 vacuum cleaners in their room!

Oooh, I have a Gtech Air Ram vacuum and it's the only vacuum that doesn't get killed by hay!! I use it several times a day round my piggy C&C and it's brilliant :thumb:.

Hi, not sure what correx is but I adopted 2 rabbits for indoors recently. My pen is a similar size 2m x 1m and I have put lino down on top of the existing laminate floor. It's not really an issue with hay getting kicked out of the pen as my rabbits only have hay in their litter boxes (32L storage boxes) but as Mackers mentioned, hay does get everywhere anyway (mostly caused by me putting hay from the giant bags into their litter boxes).

If you litter box train them their shouldn't be any need to cover the floor in hay (like you would with guinea pigs) so it shouldn't get too messy :)

Hi

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice please.

I am creating a setup so I can adopt two rescue bunnies to become house bunnies. I have a 6ft x 3 ft puppy pen in a 12ft x 10ft carpeted bedroom. I am looking for some advice on what to do for flooring in the pen.

I have ordered some lino but wondering if I need to create some sort of base with sides to stop everything getting kicked out through the grids.

I have 4 indoor guinea pigs and they have a correx base with 6inch sides in their c&c cage. I need to order some more correx as I am increasing their c&c cage so wondering if I should order another sheet and make a correx base for the puppy pen. Would rabbits just eat the correx?

If no to the correx base, what do you use for the floor of your indoor set ups? Im finding it hard to separate the messy needs of my guinea pigs with the idea that a rabbit will keep its homebase clean:)

Any advice gratefully received.

Back