• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wanted: A rabbit required with Bortedella

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Posted on behalf of ...

fayzozo said:
I currently have my own rescue bun (4 year old spayed female called ZoZo :)) but sadly she suffers with Bortedella. I've always wanted a friend for her but don't want to be in the moral dilemma of taking on a healthy bun and making them sick, but at the same time I don't want my little one to be lonely.

I want to post a thread to see if there is anyone out there who knows of a bun in need of a home who suffers with the same disease as mine.

Thanks!

Fay

I have never heard of this illness.. I hope you find a companion for your wee bunny xx

I was under the impression that rabbits were asymtomatic carriers of this as its one of the quoted reasons not to keep them with GPs, who are very susceptible.

snuffles can be pasturella, bordatella or a mix of bacteria's.

there are rescues who will rehome a rabbit to live with a snuffle bunny, as they won't necessarily get the same illness. even my two, who were brothers, had different strains of snuffles. and matt stayed worse than bisc, but after treatment bisc stayed stable. he didn't get worse living with matt.

i do understand the worry about infecting a healthy bun though, but as long as they were healthy then it shouldn't be a problem. i asked about it because both bisc and matt had/have snuffles, so i wanted to know what to do when one passed. a few rescues said they would rehome to me. the only thing i would need to be aware of was that my own snuffle bun may get a bit worse during the stress of bonding initially. :wave:

I think they mean Bordetella bronchiseptica, which as someone suggested can be carried asymptomatically by a lot of rabbits.

Back