• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Papaya tablets?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
Does anyone give these to their bunnies?

I'm grooming the boys maybe twice a week, recently I've been doing it more but they still shed a silly amount of fur, I keep thinking that they may get a blockage from all the fur when grooming.

I've heard that these papaya tablets help with that and that they are enjoyed as a treat as well? obviously only once a day or something? Anyone?

Someone sent me a couple to try and my bunnies enjoyed them but they're very short furred so I didn't notice any health benefit or really expect to

They're being discontinued but still on amazon so definitely worth trying whilst you still can

Someone sent me a couple to try and my bunnies enjoyed them but they're very short furred so I didn't notice any health benefit or really expect to

They're being discontinued but still on amazon so definitely worth trying whilst you still can

I guess if they cause no harm and benefits can only be a plus. Might have a nose and get some today.

Hi Sarah1991 :wave:

Papaya tablets can be great to aid digestion in bunnies :thumb:. Just make sure to take a close look at the ingredients that there isn't any added sugar or other potentially harmful ingredients. My bunny used to have a few problems with digestion when he was younger but hasn't had any issues since. I used to give him Oxbow's Active Digestive Enzyme Supplement with Papaya but they are now being discontinued.

I find that what helps most to prevent blockages caused by ingested fur is regular brushing (its great your doing this twice a week) especially when they are shedding, using a damp towel or wetting your hand with a bit of water and brushing over their fur also works well.

Oxbow hasn't replaced their Papaya tablets but I have heard from a friend that their NATURAL SCIENCE - DIGESTIVE SUPPORT works just as well, if not better. As well as other ingredients, they contain chicory root and ginger root which are very beneficial for digestion. Celery (my bunny absolutely loves it) is great for digestion too. I would try to restrict pellets as much as possible and stick to veggies and lots of hay. Generally if you provide a nice mix of greens as well as hay your bunnies should be fine! I wouldn't worry too much :D

Oxbow's NATURAL SCIENCE - DIGESTIVE SUPPORT:
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=8404

I always have some of these in the cupboard and misfit gets one a day when she's moulting heavily as she's prone to stasis when she's moulting. She hasn't had a stasis episode since I've started using them, but obviously that isn't proof of their effectiveness. I can't comment on the use in bunnies who aren't prone to stasis and whether or not they're worth it. I don't give them to marbles personally as she has a very healthy tummy. Misfit loves them though!

I don't think Mimi cared for them, and definitely didn't like fresh papaya, she likes the dried pieces.

Back