• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run Advice olease

meadowdayz

New Kit
20141022_120456.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My two mini rex Pip and Sadie currently have a run attached to an unheated corridor where they sleep at night. The run is 12ft by 5ft and doesn't have a roof. I could extend the run to 16 ft x ft or 20ft gy 4ft using the extra panels I have but am unsure because of the lack of waterproofing. I have two tarpaulins attached to the fence which covers some of the run. I'd be grateful for you opinions.]
20141022_120441.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Have you thought about using the panels the other way up or stacking them two high and building an aviary? It wouldn't be as big (but you'd still end up with a great size space). But, that way you could walk out the back door into the aviary and you could roof over it with some corrugated roofing (maybe a layer of mesh underneath). That way you could make it completely secure, sheltered and you'd still be able to walk in/out the backdoor.

I am thinking about having an aviary built with a roof. Not with that fencing though as its a bit too flimsy, I think it would work well with this space.:D I am also considering a cat flap so they would have constant use to the outside space. I know it can be done with a upvc door.

That sounds a great idea - I bet they'd love a cat flap and to be able to pop in and out when they like. It's definitely possible to fit them, I think they have ones specifically designed for it.

You could build a sturdy wooden frame outlining the aviary i.e. top/bottom/uprights and then fill in with the panels. The mesh on them looks like sturdy stuff. Might be as much effort as just building completely from scratch though. I think a roofed aviary is one of, if not the best housing options because it's practical for people as well as bunnies. It's surprising how much having the roof warms the area under it too, even with the open sides.

Back