• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

coughing sneezing gagging noise?

My bun is making a weird noise. i read in a post on here from several years ago about it earlier. She keeps making this noise and then chewing after words like shes coughed something up. she has been eating and no change in her activity or happiness levels. she has gotten waaaaaaay more cuddlier and affection seeking. she is litter box trained and we usually use kitty litter under the grate but we haven't been able to afford it recently. so weve been using aspen bedding. could this be the problem? i mean she just recently, about a week, recovered from pneumonia. shes eating and running and digging and pooping :) so i know shes not sick. any advice?

If she has only just recovered from pneumonia and is now displaying more respiratory symptoms it is very likely that the infection has recurred. Rabbits can still appear 'well within themselves' despite having a severe infection. So please do not delay taking your Rabbit back to a Vet, that is the only way you will be able to help her. The aspen bedding may be aggravating her respiratory tract, but unless she is actually re-examined by a Vet you cant know for sure.

Please get her back to the vets. As Jane has said they hide it very well, right until the last minute of feeling ill ( my own bun Vince who has chronic snuffles has done this to me on more than one occasion and I am an expert at monitoring him!) and the earlier treatment the better. Respiratory infections in rabbits can take ages to go properly and usually need a longer course of antibiotics than usual.

update

so i took alis to the vet this morning. shes allergic to the aspen bedding and it turns out it gave her ear mites in one ear. but the took care of them and put her on another week of Baytril. it turns out her hay is o dusty as well and that she has a really sensitive nose. but shes doing a bit better. shes not coughing nearly as much as she was.

so i took alis to the vet this morning. shes allergic to the aspen bedding and it turns out it gave her ear mites in one ear. but the took care of them and put her on another week of Baytril. it turns out her hay is o dusty as well and that she has a really sensitive nose. but shes doing a bit better. shes not coughing nearly as much as she was.

That's great to hear. So glad it's not the infection back.

This is good news. I am glad the infection from them pneumonia hasn't recurred, and that you can sort out her allergic reaction x

im not so sure now. shes been on baytril for 6 days now and shes still coughing. but its like shes coughing up stuff and is having a little trouble breathing. it sounds awful. i don't really know what to do since we cant charge anymore at the vets... its like when we cough up phlegm. do you think its normal? like is the medicine working?

im not so sure now. shes been on baytril for 6 days now and shes still coughing. but its like shes coughing up stuff and is having a little trouble breathing. it sounds awful. i don't really know what to do since we cant charge anymore at the vets... its like when we cough up phlegm. do you think its normal? like is the medicine working?

No, it is not normal and it is indicative of the fact that the Baytril is not working. It may be that she needs not only a different antibiotic but also additional types of medication. When you say 'we cant charge anymore at the Vets' do you mean you can no longer afford to pay for Vet treatment ? If so is there a charitable organisation in your area of the US whom may be able to help

This Rescue may be able to suggest a Vet who might agree to a Payment Plan or they may know of a Charitable source for obtaining Veterinary Treatment

http://www.varabbit.com/

Doing nothing is not an option I am afraid, your Rabbit does sound to be quite poorly now :cry: I do hope that you are able to access some more help for her.

i mean we had to be put on a billing plan because we cant afford it. i just emailed them and im calling all other local vets tomorrow.

Back