• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frances Harcourt-Brown 2017 Owners Days U/D P821 - next event 16 September 2017

Safe to say it was fantastic! Both Frances and Nigel were on top form and the food was delicious as usual. I think we all had a great time, and learned a lot about the life of a vet treating rabbits, their choices in treatment and drug use, Nigel's views on 'alternative' medicine, and what can be learned from post mortem examination. The hall was packed, I don't think there was a spare seat. Waiting now for the nursing course at the end of October, there were a few places left yesterday, whether they've been taken now I don't know.

Safe to say it was fantastic! Both Frances and Nigel were on top form and the food was delicious as usual. I think we all had a great time, and learned a lot about the life of a vet treating rabbits, their choices in treatment and drug use, Nigel's views on 'alternative' medicine, and what can be learned from post mortem examination. The hall was packed, I don't think there was a spare seat. Waiting now for the nursing course at the end of October, there were a few places left yesterday, whether they've been taken now I don't know.

Glad you all had a good time !! :D

Sounds amazing :D

I look forward to hearing what the nursing course is like :D

So, I didn't think I was going to update this again re CPD/owners days etc but I am doing.

The Nurses Day on 27 October was of course really valuable, it was good to see so many owners there. It was very useful for Frances to have enthusiastic owners at that event. It was particularly interesting to hear it from the nurses' perspective. I learnt so much particularly about general anaesthetic which was very useful considering 2 days before Erin was hospitalised due to a very bad reaction the day after a GA.. and was still there in a very poorly state that day. ... then 3 days later Esme underwent her first GA in 9 years :shock: Her first attempt at being spayed at 6 months old was aborted as she stopped breathing - it was very interesting to hear the part of the talk covering that aspect, it reassured me enormously. I had been told 10 months earlier that Esme was a bad anaesthetic risk as she had a heart murmur.

So, today Frances is doing her penultimate talk. She's in the Netherlands. It's not one where she's doing the whole day but various experts doing small sections, so hopefully won't be as tiring. She will be doing a talk on Rudy's case history, of which I feel immensely proud. I don't know if she's covering his many years of stasis episodes (and the cyst she found on PM which *may* have been the cause), the abscess deep in his lung lobe (bronchitis) ... his liver torsion which he survived or the cancer in the stifle and bone of his leg. He made for an interesting case history, bless him.

Last edited:
So, I didn't think I was going to update this again re CPD/owners days etc but I am doing.

The Nurses Day on 27 October was of course really valuable, it was good to see so many owners there. It was very useful for Frances to have enthusiastic owners at that event. It was particularly interesting to hear it from the nurses' perspective. I learnt so much particularly about general anaesthetic which was very useful considering 2 days before Erin was hospitalised due to a very bad reaction the day after a GA.. and was still there in a very poorly state that day. ... then 3 days later Esme underwent her first GA in 9 years :shock: Her first attempt at being spayed at 6 months old was aborted as she stopped breathing - it was very interesting to hear the part of the talk covering that aspect, it reassured me enormously. I had been told 10 months earlier that Esme was a bad anaesthetic risk as she had a heart murmur.

So, today Frances is doing her penultimate talk. She's in the Netherlands. It's not one where she's doing the whole day but various experts doing small sections, so hopefully won't be as tiring. She will be doing a talk on Rudy's case history, of which I feel immensely proud. I don't know if she's covering his many years of stasis episodes (and the cyst she found on PM which *may* have been the cause), the abscess deep in his lung lobe (bronchitis) ... his liver torsion which he survived or the cancer in the stifle and bone of his leg. He made for an interesting case history, bless him.

Rudy sounds like he was a real fighter :love: he was lucky to have you and Frances caring for him :thumb: you are very lucky to know her :thumb:

It was great that you were able to attend the VN Talk Frances gave. I was well jealous when you told me about it !! I am so glad that the subject of anaesthesia was covered as there is still so much unnecessary scare mongering online about the risks associated with Rabbit anaesthesia. If everyone believed some of the things posted online no-one would ever agree to have their Rabbit undergo any procedure under GA.

You have been exceptionally brave to agree to Frances using Rudy's complex case to educate and inform other Vets. Rudy was a little trouper and he has left a legacy that will help so many other Rabbits.

Frances should be awarded a MBE for her outstanding services to Rabbit Medicine !

http://www.awardsintelligence.co.uk/queens-honours/mbe

I would like her to do a owners day about forage and their medicinal properties

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I would like her to do a owners day about forage and their medicinal properties

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
It would be good but I can't see it happening. The information on calcium content was really interesting, it brings it home when presented in the right way. It was a good era, there's no doubt about it.

So, a bit of reading on the Vet Festival website tells me it's run by an organisation called "Fitz All Media Ltd"... A director of which is none other than Martin Noel Fitzpatrick. .. so basically, they have been head hunted in retirement by Professor Noel! (Or that's my interpretation until I hear differently).

Last edited:
It would be good but I can't see it happening. The information on calcium content was really interesting, it brings it home when presented in the right way. It was a good era, there's no doubt about it.

So, a bit of reading on the Vet Festival website tells me it's run by an organisation called "Fitz All Media Ltd"... A director of which is none other than Martin Noel Fitzpatrick. .. so basically, they have been head hunted in retirement by Professor Noel! (Or that's my interpretation until I hear differently).

Oh to have Prof Noel search for me !!!.........................

Dream on Jane :lol:

Back