• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frances Harcourt-Brown 2017 Owners Days U/D P821 - next event 16 September 2017

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Frances Harcourt-Brown website

New projects and a new website:

http://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/

She's retired from general practice but is very much focused on improving the lot for rabbits....

a case of 'watch this space'. It looks like there's some really valuable ventures ahead

(Taken from the website)
"A series of informative articles for rabbit owners is also planned for this site. These will be added to as time goes on. Feedback and suggestions for new topics are welcome through the suggestion box. There is a 'Case of the Month' that may be of interest to owners and vets. The images from these cases will be added to the Gallery, which will expand with time.

Frances is also working on other projects, including an Ebook that will be linked with this website and a printable handbook."

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Edit to add:
Now on Facebook too:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harcourt-Brown-Rabbit-CPD/1466477763647407?pnref=story

Last edited:
http://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/

She's retired from general practice but is very much focused on improving the lot for rabbits....

a case of 'watch this space'. It looks like there's some really valuable ventures ahead

(Taken from the website)
"A series of informative articles for rabbit owners is also planned for this site. These will be added to as time goes on. Feedback and suggestions for new topics are welcome through the suggestion box. There is a 'Case of the Month' that may be of interest to owners and vets. The images from these cases will be added to the Gallery, which will expand with time.

Frances is also working on other projects, including an Ebook that will be linked with this website and a printable handbook."

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:thumb::D

There's some details for lectures now if anyone is keen to attend/encourage others to attend ....

Spread the word, let's get the country's vets rabbit savvy!!

Last edited:
I'm just giving this thread a bump because I think the work being done on it is really valuable and I would like it to be seen by as many people as possible.

There are a lot more features on it now than in mid-October.

I'm just giving this thread a bump because I think the work being done on it is really valuable and I would like it to be seen by as many people as possible.

There are a lot more features on it now than in mid-October.

I have it bookmarked :D My Vets also have it xx

Thanks for the bump. I'd not seen this thread as I've not been around as much as usual over the past few months.

Will go and take a look now. :thumb:

Potential for courses/talks for owners, come on guys, there MUST be a demand for this... get the suggestions in!!

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/rabbit-cpd/courses-for-owners

I shall be putting in a submission when I've had a good long think about it but off the top of my head, I was thinking:

Taking blood glucose readings
other checks required when bunny isn't eating - how to check for signs of blockage etc

Routine health checks, ears etc - the checks you would expect on vaccination - what do they look for, what signs can you check for yourself ...

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this before but am definitely interested in this. Will come back over the weekend when I've a little more time to think. Bump it again to remind me!

This is really exciting!

I think courses for rabbits owners is a fab idea. The vet's courses and lectures are expensive, so it may be an idea to get an estimate of cost up front. Guess it may depend on demand?

This is really exciting!

I think courses for rabbits owners is a fab idea. The vet's courses and lectures are expensive, so it may be an idea to get an estimate of cost up front. Guess it may depend on demand?

Yes, it's going to be a difficult one to know how to gauge with demand and how much work will go into creating what there is deemed to be wanted by the audience... how many will attend and length of session they require etc. I do believe there is the demand for it. I just hope that the potential cost of the event isn't putting people off submitting suggestions.

Last edited:
Just giving this another gentle bump.

For anybody who could be interested in attending in this kind of talk/course please give some feedback about what you would be interested in - both what you would like on the agenda but also if you would like a full day/half day/evening etc. The more feedback that FHB receives the more this can be tailored to suit our needs ... and the more our bunnies (and ultimately us) benefit.

If you don't want to reply direct, then please post on here and the information can be passed on.

:oops: Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record but I think this is a wonderful opportunity to be asked for our views on what we would like the course/talk format etc.

I'd love to attend something like this but as there's only me to look after the animals I can't see it happening. :(

I'd love to attend something like this but as there's only me to look after the animals I can't see it happening. :(

:( That's how I've always felt about the RWAF conference - any of the venues where it's been held would mean me being away from the bunnies easily12 hours which just isn't something I would do as I'm in the same situation. Given that being the case, would a half day/evening rather than a whole day make it achievable? I think it's a case of balancing out whether people fairly local would attend half days whereas that would be off-putting for someone travelling from say Essex who would most probably want to do a whole day to make it worth the travel.

Thanks for the link - this looks great! In recent times I've been finding the RWA conference somewhat...basic...and there are a number of people there who clearly want and need more detailed veterinary information, so this would be a really good opportunity to do that. Personally I'd prefer a full day, I think it would really limit the market to local people if it was just a half day or evening. I'm not sure I'd go all the way to Yorkshire for a half day. But the people above wanted the opposite, so it just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time :lol:

Things I'd be interested in are:

e.cuniculi - update on prevention, diagnosis and treatment
common infectious diseases, how to prevent them and tackle them in a multi-rabbit situation
coccidiosis
abscesses - all types but particularly ear abscesses
parasites (e.c. and coccidiosis could be wrapped up into this if it was going to be a whole day)
an overview of the sorts of things that are commonly seen in practice
pasteurella/snuffles - current thoughts on diagnosis and treatments
antibiotics - their use and abuse
stasis/bloat etc - early identification, diagnosis and treatment
diagnostic imaging - I'd be really interested to be talked through some normal and abnormal x-rays, ultrasound etc so that it makes more sense when my vet talks to me about these sorts of things, along with when they might be useful
rabbit tumours - types, treatments, early warning signs
of general interest (but not as important as the above) would be to be talked through what happens in some common surgery cases - what happens when your bunny is admitted, what exactly a neuter, dental etc. entails

Hope that makes sense!

Back