Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Frances Harcourt-Brown 2016 Owners Days U/D P821 - next event 17 September 2016

Potential for courses/talks for owners, come on guys, there MUST be a demand for this... get the suggestions in!!

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/rab...ses-for-owners

I shall be putting in a submission when I've had a good long think about it but off the top of my head, I was thinking:

Taking blood glucose readings
    other checks required when bunny isn't eating - how to check for signs of blockage etc

Routine health checks, ears etc - the checks you would expect on vaccination - what do they look for, what signs can you check for yourself ...
    Last edited by Bunny Buddy; 04-12-2015 at 02:30 AM.

My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Potential for courses/talks for owners, come on guys, there MUST be a demand for this... get the suggestions in!!

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/rab...ses-for-owners
    ... surely I can't be the only person on this busy rabbit forum that is interested in this??

My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Sorry I missed this before but am definitely interested in this. Will come back over the weekend when I've a little more time to think. Bump it again to remind me!

Quote Originally Posted by esupi View Post
    Sorry I missed this before but am definitely interested in this. Will come back over the weekend when I've a little more time to think. Bump it again to remind me!
    Bump

This is really exciting!

I think courses for rabbits owners is a fab idea. The vet's courses and lectures are expensive, so it may be an idea to get an estimate of cost up front. Guess it may depend on demand?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    This is really exciting!

I think courses for rabbits owners is a fab idea. The vet's courses and lectures are expensive, so it may be an idea to get an estimate of cost up front. Guess it may depend on demand?

Yes, it's going to be a difficult one to know how to gauge with demand and how much work will go into creating what there is deemed to be wanted by the audience... how many will attend and length of session they require etc. I do believe there is the demand for it. I just hope that the potential cost of the event isn't putting people off submitting suggestions.
    Last edited by Bunny Buddy; 01-01-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Just giving this another gentle bump.

For anybody who could be interested in attending in this kind of talk/course please give some feedback about what you would be interested in - both what you would like on the agenda but also if you would like a full day/half day/evening etc. The more feedback that FHB receives the more this can be tailored to suit our needs ... and the more our bunnies (and ultimately us) benefit.

If you don't want to reply direct, then please post on here and the information can be passed on.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a broken record but I think this is a wonderful opportunity to be asked for our views on what we would like the course/talk format etc.

I'd love to attend something like this but as there's only me to look after the animals I can't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by bunslave View Post
    I'd love to attend something like this but as there's only me to look after the animals I can't see it happening.
    That's how I've always felt about the RWAF conference - any of the venues where it's been held would mean me being away from the bunnies easily12 hours which just isn't something I would do as I'm in the same situation. Given that being the case, would a half day/evening rather than a whole day make it achievable? I think it's a case of balancing out whether people fairly local would attend half days whereas that would be off-putting for someone travelling from say Essex who would most probably want to do a whole day to make it worth the travel.

Thanks for the link - this looks great! In recent times I've been finding the RWA conference somewhat...basic...and there are a number of people there who clearly want and need more detailed veterinary information, so this would be a really good opportunity to do that. Personally I'd prefer a full day, I think it would really limit the market to local people if it was just a half day or evening. I'm not sure I'd go all the way to Yorkshire for a half day. But the people above wanted the opposite, so it just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time

Things I'd be interested in are:

e.cuniculi - update on prevention, diagnosis and treatment
    common infectious diseases, how to prevent them and tackle them in a multi-rabbit situation
    coccidiosis
    abscesses - all types but particularly ear abscesses
    parasites (e.c. and coccidiosis could be wrapped up into this if it was going to be a whole day)
    an overview of the sorts of things that are commonly seen in practice
    pasteurella/snuffles - current thoughts on diagnosis and treatments
    antibiotics - their use and abuse
    stasis/bloat etc - early identification, diagnosis and treatment
    diagnostic imaging - I'd be really interested to be talked through some normal and abnormal x-rays, ultrasound etc so that it makes more sense when my vet talks to me about these sorts of things, along with when they might be useful
    rabbit tumours - types, treatments, early warning signs
    of general interest (but not as important as the above) would be to be talked through what happens in some common surgery cases - what happens when your bunny is admitted, what exactly a neuter, dental etc. entails

Hope that makes sense!
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    or view the 'vets with vaccines' map: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com
    And here's a shameless plug for my wish list:http://amzn.eu/io8ng9f