• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tunnel into Run

http://www1.surreycc.gov.uk/highways/default.aspx shows you where the roadworks are :) Unfortunately you can't filter by type exactly, but if you click into each area and then on each in the resulting list, you can see where the major digging works are. Avoid 'surface works' but anything by people who deal with cables might be worthwhile checking. Even water and gas works may need to move large cables so will need to replace ducting? Or, if you can, go and ask in the council depot if they've any lying about :) You're unlikely to get anywhere emailing or ringing up because some admin monkey (like me ;P) will tell you it all has to be disposed of because that's the law or somesuch.

aww thanks what a clever idea!!I didnt know about that website - that will be useful for when i am trying to avoid roadworks too!!! hehe!! :D

I found Neo hated those pipes you can 'borrow without asking' because they didn't have ridges inside, so he hated the slipperyness!

Just an opinion :)

I found Neo hated those pipes you can 'borrow without asking' because they didn't have ridges inside, so he hated the slipperyness!

Just an opinion :)

I think thats true of a lot of rabbits. Those ridges are what makes the welfare hutches and runarounds pipes so easy for them.

I think thats true of a lot of rabbits. Those ridges are what makes the welfare hutches and runarounds pipes so easy for them.

I found the other ones didn't really bend either and that's what I wanted - I was up in Cheshire anyway so didn't mind picking them up!

There are mainly two types: the bendy type has no internal skin and, therefore, ridges. The not-bendy-type has an internal skin and no ridges. The former is much heavier though, I can testify to that having carried the same length of each for the same distance! I would NOT recommend the twin-walled one for slopes! But the bendy one, while much harder to get hold of, looks pretty much the same as Runaround! Only without the drainage holes in my case, but I am reliably informed drainage hole variants are available (land drains, they're called)!

There is no reason a pipe has to be a pipe. If you are DIYing a run, I expect you could manage a tunnel too. You could either go for a rectangular frame covered in mesh (like building a very small and long run) or a solid sided one out of plywood - you could then wrap it in mesh just as insurance against chewing. Or if you wanted to get fancy, you could build an underground tunnel by digging a trench, lining it with mesh and then laying paving slabs over as a roof.

Thanks, I think I have a plan. We have an old long, but low height hutch (we have never used as a hutch as its horrible and small!!!) it is currently in the chicken shed, they perch on it to sleep at night. OH is reluctant to use that as he will have to make a new chicken perch, but I have convinced him as it will be easier to build a new perch rather than keep trying to create a whole new tunnel access. I think what I will do is prop it up against the side of the wendy house, and cut an access hole through. I think it'll work. We will have to have a look at the weekend!!! not sure if its long enough just yet... fingers crossed. :)

Back