• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really unhappy with new run

Hi all, I had a response from them, the guy basically said he doesn't know why it might have gone mildew like this and has used the same batch for lots of other runs with no problems.
Apparently the timber is dipped in preservative.
He has offered to send me some more preservative so that I can apply another coat, which I guess is better than nothing.
I'm going to work out a way to securely reattach the small run so that Doris and Pepper can still have a bit of space, and i can scrub the new one and let it dry indoors for a couple of days before I paint it. Hopefully the preservative will arrive in time for my couple of days off, otherwise I'll have to go ahead and use what I have in the shed.

I wouldn't be happy with a 'none of the others have had a problem' response. It's not been sold as advertised, I'd be telling them to take it back and replace it.

I probably should have been more stern and said I want a replacement, but they sent some more preservative out to me by courier so that it arrived in time for my weekend off, so I'm just getting on with it.
I've done the long sides so far as for whatever reason they didn't seem to be affected.
I'm struggling to clean the mildew off the lids, and am worried that if I don't kill off every bit then I'll seal the damp in or something when I put the preservative on...? Is that right?

I probably should have been more stern and said I want a replacement, but they sent some more preservative out to me by courier so that it arrived in time for my weekend off, so I'm just getting on with it.
I've done the long sides so far as for whatever reason they didn't seem to be affected.
I'm struggling to clean the mildew off the lids, and am worried that if I don't kill off every bit then I'll seal the damp in or something when I put the preservative on...? Is that right?

I'm no expert but I reckon you are right, how about sanding it to remove it?

mine went quite mouldy aswell (my own fault though as didn't re-treat it for a few years :oops:) - i scrubbed it with white vinegar first. it didn't remove it but vinegar naturally kills mould spores deeper, whereas bleach just does the outer layer apparently. then i just painted over it. i haven't done the solid lid though as that is black and ruined. the rain gathers on it though so think it would have got ruined whatever really. :wave:

mine went quite mouldy aswell (my own fault though as didn't re-treat it for a few years :oops:) - i scrubbed it with white vinegar first. it didn't remove it but vinegar naturally kills mould spores deeper, whereas bleach just does the outer layer apparently. then i just painted over it. i haven't done the solid lid though as that is black and ruined. the rain gathers on it though so think it would have got ruined whatever really. :wave:

Ah good thinking, I have some white vinegar for the litter trays!

Back