• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging box?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to make a digging box for indoors? I've seen one somewhere that someone made out of a big storage box so the mess didn't get everywhere but now I can't find it?

It would have to be fully covered because the mess would be ridiculous. I'd really like to make something for them I think they would enjoy digging in something other than the litter tray!

Any pictures would be a great help!

I'm also interested in this.

I did put a storage box in my outdoor run with soil in and it was pretty successful until it rained, it then turned in to a bunny swimming pool - the rabbits weren't too impressed!!

I'm also interested in this.

I did put a storage box in my outdoor run with soil in and it was pretty successful until it rained, it then turned in to a bunny swimming pool - the rabbits weren't too impressed!!

I'm not quite sure what I'd put in one either.

I wouldn't use soil as its indoors and would probably make a huge mess, I'm worried about using paper as Milo is a paper eater, Megazorb is a no go as it sticks to their fur and would create the mother of all messes. Sand might be ok but I'm worried about it getting in their eyes and all over?

I don't know, maybe I'm too fussy :lol:

I'm not quite sure what I'd put in one either.

I wouldn't use soil as its indoors and would probably make a huge mess, I'm worried about using paper as Milo is a paper eater, Megazorb is a no go as it sticks to their fur and would create the mother of all messes. Sand might be ok but I'm worried about it getting in their eyes and all over?

I don't know, maybe I'm too fussy :lol:

I had quite a deep storage box so didn't find they dug it out over the sides at all. I'd say the the box was 12 inches deep and had about 4 inches of soil in, they seemed to enjoy using it, although I noticed they poo-ed in it while digging so had it not turned in to a swimming pool I would have to of found fresh soil at some point. They didn't have any issues jumping the 12 inches in to the box, and I guess it was another way to keep them fit!

Hay as a digging thing? Lopsy certainly digs at it. But might be confused with litter box? Carpet strips? Sacking pieces? Bits of rope? I've honestly no idea whether any of these are safe or not, I'm just postulating digging material ideas!

Hay as a digging thing? Lopsy certainly digs at it. But might be confused with litter box? Carpet strips? Sacking pieces? Bits of rope? I've honestly no idea whether any of these are safe or not, I'm just postulating digging material ideas!

No its all very helpful! As you say they do dig in hay! Mine certainly dig at the litter tray, I thought it might be nice for them to have something different, but sadly I have a bunny who eats paper and soil would never be allowed inside (OH says no haha) but sand might be I guess?....just depends on how well the level of mess can stay down?...

What about filling it up with strips of fleece fabric, as the fleece won't have loose strings like other fabrics would? For mine, I use shredded up newspaper, but that doesn't sound like it will work for you.

What about filling it up with strips of fleece fabric, as the fleece won't have loose strings like other fabrics would? For mine, I use shredded up newspaper, but that doesn't sound like it will work for you.

That's not a bad idea at all. :D Mine already have a few strips of fleece on their binky bunny table and they don't seem to chew on that.

Maybe if I get a box like this one, style wise? https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...+storage+box+plastic&spd=16870530542627974183
cut a hole in it at the front then fill it with large fleece strips? I'll have a think, I want them to be able to dig in it so depending what is in it they may or may not even use it :lol:

Hope it works for you. I'm thinking of trying the fleece too, to see if it works any better. My buns like the newspaper, but it often will eventually get used as a litter box. Maybe they won't pee on the fleece... but knowing them, they probably will:roll:. At least with the newspaper I can toss it out and refill. I do have one bun though, that has decided it is a good place to lay down for a nap and won't pee in there :)

I'm fairly sure I've read that you're not supposed to use sand in a diggy box for rabbits. It is quite fine and will get into their ears and eyes and create all sorts of problems, plus they could breathe it in as it's flying everywhere and that would affect their respiratory system.

I use soil but my bunnies are outdoors.

Straw maybe? Or hay? Torn up paper? Although I think those are out from what's been written above, sorry.

I would of thought straw or hay would be good.. Maybe even readigrass type.. Cut it into shorter more diggable strands like a few inches long? You could add dried veg/plants forage treats etc into it too dig out?

I know its not exactly the same.. LOL.. BUT.. With my Ferrets (Do not fear!) We mix soil with twigs and leaves, branches and allsorts in a big box/tub and put treats mixed up inside.. NOT COMPACTED.. More loose like a big mess and they love that for digging in more than plain soil or bedding. We tried it with Darcie when he was young and he would have a good rummage and nudge twigs etc out to get to goodies. Bless him

I've always wondered if the cardboard scratching blocks designed for cats would work for buns, minus the catnip of course! Never tried them though.

Mabel just likes to dig at an old large bath sheet, so no need for a dig box.

I use massive cardboard boxes filled with shredded paper. I close the box at the top and just cut a little hole in the side for them to get in and out

We have a box made from correx and long cardboard tunnel that gets filled with shredded paper or just packing paper, twigs and toilet rolls.

I'm fairly sure I've read that you're not supposed to use sand in a diggy box for rabbits. It is quite fine and will get into their ears and eyes and create all sorts of problems, plus they could breathe it in as it's flying everywhere and that would affect their respiratory system.

I use soil but my bunnies are outdoors.

Straw maybe? Or hay? Torn up paper? Although I think those are out from what's been written above, sorry.

I think that its going to be difficult to find something, Milo really does love to eat some paper. :roll:

I did think that about sand, I think I'd decided last night I didn't want to use it.

My two have a wicker basket filled with treat hays and dried forage and the odd pellet in their hutch which they scrabble in a lot. I intended it as a place to snuggle but it's evolved into a rainy day activity basket. They've never confused it with a litter tray but that may be cos they don't toilet in their hutch. It's a bit shallow for a proper digging basket but they seem very happy with it. They also enjoy chewing and destroying the basket - but that means their Xmas present will be easy to sort

From the one of the House Rabbit Society, Behaviour Journals - "Toys and Temperaments" section:
"Digging.
Along with tunneling goes digging. Some rabbits enjoy digging at the end of a tunnel; others will dig wherever they can. World-class diggers need lots of opportunities to dig, and fortunately, these are easy to provide. A cardboard box, large litterbox or dishpan, or even a large wicker basket filled with hay, shredded newspapers, old magazines or junk mail, and any other safe shreddable, should do the trick. If there is a particular spot on the carpet that your rabbit likes to dig, you can cover it with furniture, a carpet scrap, or a piece of grass mat, but make sure to provide a digging box as well.

Shredding.
Does Zippy peel the wallpaper or sheetrock? Rabbits who like to shred need to have paper products aplenty. An urban Yellow Pages is one of the best shredding choices. Unless your rabbit eats a great deal of the paper, shredding itself is not harmful, except to your house and possessions. You can give him the Yellow Pages on their own, or in a box or basket, with other shreddable items. Like many other rabbit activities, unfortunately shredding is not particularly neat, so keeping the shreddables in a box may keep your home a bit neater. A whisk broom, or full size broom (made of straw, not plastic) also provides a fun shredding toy"

Back